The new DF83v - Page 27

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pj

#261: Post by pj »

HobWash wrote:Looks like you got the SSP HU Burrs?
Let us know what you think
Yes, SSP HU.

DCTY

#262: Post by DCTY »

I didn't see this posted...but it's a review of a guy stalling it under what appears to be super normal conditions. I want to buy but also want to know this wouldn't be considered acceptable.

DF83v vs DF64v (I have both)

his review is impressive.

NYPeter007
Supporter ♡

#263: Post by NYPeter007 »

I never had any stalling issues, even at low RPMs with very lightly roasted and dense coffees. However, I ended up returning it due to an intense off gassing smell of, what I believe to be, the paint job. I let it air out for a week and it was still emitting a strong odor. It actually impacted the grinds, especially when doing filter. I did several side by sides with other grinders and the smell was off putting and definitely evident in the cup, giving it a chemically off flavor. I was heartbroken because I actually love the grinder all around.

I truly hope their manufacturer improves this and uses less intense smelling materials, especially if they drop another large burr grinder in the future (like a 98mm).

HobWash

#264: Post by HobWash »

DCTY wrote:video

I didn't see this posted...but it's a review of a guy stalling it under what appears to be super normal conditions. I want to buy but also want to know this wouldn't be considered acceptable.

DF83v vs DF64v (I have both)

his review is impressive.
Hey look, I'm famous!

That was mine. I'm in the process of sending it back. MiiCoffee customer service has been excellent.

There is a lot of information-overload in that thread linked to the video.

Let me summarize with this:
1. I would not recommend returning the grinder over the stalling issue. It's a powerful motor and likely just a software issue. As it is, the grinder has no problem grinding any bean at any RPM as long as you don't just "dump" the beans in. I believe it's just a hypersensitive protection mechanism.

2. The rest of the post focuses on the grinder's consistency and internal design compared to the D64v. I am inclined to believe mine was a one-off.

I would not recommend anyone cancel or return their order because of my one-off.
I would, however, recommend you purchase from MiiCoffee and not df64coffee.com because df64coffee has zero return policy and MiiCoffee has proven to be very good.

HobWash

#265: Post by HobWash »

NYPeter007 wrote:I never had any stalling issues, even at low RPMs with very lightly roasted and dense coffees. However, I ended up returning it due to an intense off gassing smell of, what I believe to be, the paint job. I let it air out for a week and it was still emitting a strong odor. It actually impacted the grinds, especially when doing filter. I did several side by sides with other grinders and the smell was off putting and definitely evident in the cup, giving it a chemically off flavor. I was heartbroken because I actually love the grinder all around.

I truly hope their manufacturer improves this and uses less intense smelling materials, especially if they drop another large burr grinder in the future (like a 98mm).
I too experienced a very strong and unpleasant smell. I wiped the entire exterior with a damp cloth. I also cleaned the interior, removed their grease and replaced it with Super Lube Food-Grade Grease (really nice stuff) and then ran a couple pounds of beans through it. I would say the smell was 90% gone from the device and no effect on the beans.

This is just my experience, each may be different.

wongsteven51

#266: Post by wongsteven51 »

For anyone who experienced the off-gassing smell, was it just the black version? Did anyone experience it with the silver?

Ursego

#267: Post by Ursego »

Got my DF83V a month ago. DLC Espresso burrs. So far I have only used it with dark roast only.

First reaction: Absolutely no difference from Niche Zero! What did I pay so much money for? Okay, I'll wait until it's seasoning enough.
After a week: Actually, the DF83V has less bitterness, which is good!

Another week later: There's deeeefinitely less bitterness, and I find some new flavor notes that weren't there before.
Another week later: I have to sell the Niche Zero.

Another week later: The NZ is listed for sale. I decided to do some more last minute comparisons. Turns out the espresso on the NZ is not only bitter, but also sour at the same time! How was I drinking that?

It was picked up the next day. We had such a great time together, you will forever be in my heart! :-(

★ Helpful

Capuchin Monk

#268: Post by Capuchin Monk »

What about ergonomics and any off-gass smell?

Jonk

#269: Post by Jonk »

Ursego wrote:Turns out the espresso on the NZ is not only bitter, but also sour at the same time! How was I drinking that?
The conical burrs are more likely to have some boulders mixed in, which adds some sourness and fruitiness. It can work out to one's advantage. I bet you were just adjusting the shots a bit to account for this before?

Ursego

#270: Post by Ursego »

Capuchin Monk wrote:What about ergonomics
Predictably excellent (like in any single-dosing grinder). The dial ring is hard to move, but I managed to move it with two hands, so not an issue. Very clean thanks to the plasma generator - for me that is more important than 90% of stuff usually discusses about grinders.
Capuchin Monk wrote:and any off-gass smell?
No idea what you are talking about. :lol: