New Comandante MK4 grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Yan

#11: Post by Yan »

Corradobrit wrote:Considering what 1Zpresso is offering I think the C40 prices itself out of the market. I don't see any value added here at all.
I wish I can rental the 1Zpresso JX to compare with the C40MK3 side by side, I am not really care about the "made in", what matters is the results in the cups... especially clarity...

jevenator

#12: Post by jevenator replying to Yan »

What matters is that you enjoy the cup for the characteristics you prefer. For some that may be body and texture over chasing sterile clarity.
But I agree with you, I don't really care for "made-in" as long as it's good quality. The 1Zpresso Q2 with heptagonal burrs (7core) is the closest you can get to Comandante flavor profile and it's only like $113-120 delivered to the US. BUT I do not like it overall compared to the Comandante for the fit and finish. But price/value ratio is higher for the Q2 at this point than the Comandante. But the Comandante is in a higher class of "luxury" than the Q2. What's more important for you?

The grounds bin has been teased for a long time on Bernd's instagram. I want a baby blue or a green one, hah.

Yan

#13: Post by Yan »

jevenator wrote:The grounds bin has been teased for a long time on Bernd's instagram. I want a baby blue or a green one, hah.
These grounds bin?

coffeeOnTheBrain

#14: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

I feel that the known changes are pretty thoughtful and make the MK4 the better product. I never dropped a jar, but I heard people worry about it when traveling.
I have beans in the hole for the handle pretty regularly, so this change is really welcome.
There is no disruption of the market from these changes, but I appreciate a company actually addressing known issues instead of ignoring them.

HB
Admin

#15: Post by HB »

I agree with Jeff's comment below; I've removed the preceding side discussion. There are surely thousands of other sites where politics can be debated. As noted in the site's Guidelines for productive online discussion, please stay on topic.
Jeff wrote:The "Made in..." trope is not appropriate here.

Each product needs to be judged on its delivered merits. With that information in hand, individuals can make their own decisions.
Dan Kehn

diego-nine

#16: Post by diego-nine »

Very minor and underwhelming update IMO.

It's a shame they didn't update the thing most people complain about: the adjustment mechanism without visual references.

With others brands offering pretty decent and less expensive grinders with this problems sorted out, looks odd to me they didn't offer a solution.

But hey, now there are a bunch of stickers that comes with the grinder :P

jbviau
Supporter ★

#17: Post by jbviau »

I picked up one of these after borrowing a member's MK3 recently and finding it *much* improved compared to the MK1 I tried back in 2013 (which was a whole drama that I don't care to rehash but can be found in the archives here). For me, the incremental nature of the upgrade from MK3 to MK4 was actually a selling point in the sense that I have less time/energy/patience to test new and unproven designs than I used to.

Anyway, I ordered from Specialty Turkish Coffee, and I believe they shipped it the day before Hurricane Ida made landfall in their general vicinity. Hopefully they'll be able to reopen soon!

In the pics below you'll see a close-up of the MK4's new "engine" and its new clear plastic jar. One thing that's impossible to show is that the plastic jar has no internal lip for ground coffee to get stuck on when you transfer from jar to brewing device. In this sense, it's a definite step up from the stock glass jars with internal lips.

That's it for now. I'll break this in when I can. I already know that I prefer the coffee I get from my ghost burrs (Apex, R-220), so there's no rush.

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Yan

#18: Post by Yan »

jbviau wrote:One thing that's impossible to show is that the plastic jar has no internal lip for ground coffee to get stuck on when you transfer from jar to brewing device. In this sense, it's a definite step up from the stock glass jars with internal lips.
Those no intenal lips it's very nice minor update design, hopefully we can buy the polymer jar separately for the MK3, did they change the Burr Geometry & internal plastic frame material?

Thanks for the update Joshua...

jbviau
Supporter ★

#19: Post by jbviau »

Hey! No, AFAIK the burr geometry and frame material are the same.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Yan

#20: Post by Yan replying to jbviau »

Hopefully they will updates for the mark V... :)