New Chinese Single Dose Grinder - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Capuchin Monk (original poster)

#41: Post by Capuchin Monk (original poster) »

Aster X wrote:Does the grinder keep the grind settings after getting it cleaned?
If you mean the grind setting as in dialing in the grind size, then yes. I think this unit is one of the later models which the top comes off by removing 3 screws unlike the earlier model which the top comes off by unscrewing the entire top which will undo the previous setting. It's the same concept used by Ceado E37 series.

Aster X

#42: Post by Aster X »

Capuchin Monk wrote:Yes, rough (subjective) evaluation towards the end of post #22.

I plan to open up this grinder this weekend and see what's going on. Will report back.
Sorry for insisting on this but I have to make a decision soon, please help:

1. Regarding taste of the coffee, you should have now clearer view, maybe you tried different beans so far
2. Workflow
3. Any cons after using it for some days now

Thanks a lot!

#43: Post by Capuchin Monk (original poster) »

1. I noticed little more fruity flavor. It's more revealing of the bean quality than my other grinder, which can be a curse because you will want better beans.
2. Good for what I wanted which is to use lighter roast for the first drink in the morning with milk, then darker roast for espresso after that. Because of little to no retention (when bellows used), it works well for my daily routine (2 different types of beans) with very little to no waste.
3. The power on / off process is a bit slow due to 3 second press requirement, since it's a touch screen. If it was a mechanical switch, it would've been faster and more convenient for me at least.

oliccino

#44: Post by oliccino »

was the aligning worth it? Did taste or noise change significantly?

#45: Post by Capuchin Monk (original poster) »

I think the alignment is worth it for the peace of mind. As for the taste difference between before and after the alignment, wasn't tested. I doubt that it would be that big of a difference unless the misalignment was so bad that the grinds were all messed up, which wasn't the case with mine.

LindoPhotography

#46: Post by LindoPhotography »

I always thought it was hilarious it looked like a P64 got beaten with an ugly stick :D But the latest versions of this grinder ARE looking a bit better, still not as nice as the original Option-O Lagom P64.

I haven't used one but heard there was issues with the touch capacitive buttons being not responsive sometimes, and it seems vs the Lagom P64 the RPM range is less useful. I heard it has only a few (like 6?) steps and jumps up from min 900RPM in 300RPM increments, So basically, 900, 1200, and maybe 1500 are useful. Someone else commented it gets clogged up easy at higher RPM (higher grinding speed likely creates more fines, and also with faster grinding speed it needs a larger space to exit out through the declumper /chute without clogging up!).

It does look like they even copied the internal parts of the P64, but I doubt the quality is there. For the price difference for some people it might be
worth it. I believe there is a variable speed DF64 coming, DF64s aren't perfect either, but are at least are better known.

Update:
Ooph. That Aliexpress price for the G64... (Don't do it!) About $1800CAD + 200 shipping, might as well get the P64 with Stock Burrs which are actually quite nice!

#47: Post by Capuchin Monk (original poster) »

LindoPhotography wrote:Update:
Ooph. That Aliexpress price for the G64... (Don't do it!) About $1800CAD + 200 shipping, might as well get the P64 with Stock Burrs which are actually quite nice!
I bought it from Alibaba for nearly half the price of Aliexpress. I was looking into P64 but the wait time was just tooooooo long. :(
Someone else commented it gets clogged up easy at higher RPM (higher grinding speed likely creates more fines, and also with faster grinding speed it needs a larger space to exit out through the declumper /chute without clogging up!).
Are you sure it wasn't at low speed? I haven't noticed clogging at any speed. Plus, it comes with bellows and with a few short pumps (more like taps), it clears out the chute without grinds ending up on the countertop. I hold the cup closer to the bottom of chute.

naz1511

#48: Post by naz1511 »

LindoPhotography wrote:
I haven't used one but heard there was issues with the touch capacitive buttons being not responsive sometimes, and it seems vs the Lagom P64 the RPM range is less useful. I heard it has only a few (like 6?) steps and jumps up from min 900RPM in 300RPM increments, So basically, 900, 1200, and maybe 1500 are useful. Someone else commented it gets clogged up easy at higher RPM (higher grinding speed likely creates more fines, and also with faster grinding speed it needs a larger space to exit out through the declumper /chute without clogging up!).
I agree with the first and second points.

The touch capacitive buttons are just too finnicky and seems to register input 2 out of every 3 times randomly. If I were to change something, this would be it. I do however liked the subtle beeps sounds, a modern twist to perhaps what should be a mechanical machine start to finish.

I also agree that beyond speed 3 (which i think is 1400rpm) is quite irrelevant, but I haven't used it in those ranges and plan not to. According to the manufacturer's spec, the speed is starting at 900rpm up to 2400rpm, which puts the grind speed range at 250rpm increments such as:

1 - 900rpm
2 - 1150rpm
3 - 1400rpm (I kept it here)
4 - 1650rpm
5 - 1900rpm
6 - 2150rpm
7 - 2400rpm

I saw one video where they used the fastest speed to grind, it was stupid fast but there's overwhelming evidence that the max speed is not meant to feed through the stock declumper and small-ish exit chute in a proper manner.
LindoPhotography wrote:
It does look like they even copied the internal parts of the P64, but I doubt the quality is there. For the price difference for some people it might be
worth it. I believe there is a variable speed DF64 coming, DF64s aren't perfect either, but are at least are better known.
Lesser known does not necessarily equate to bad product imho. If you refer to the option-o lagom p64 thread in 2020, people were bashing it for being 'too expensive' for a brand and product that was relatively a 'nobody' at that time. The internals of the AF007/G64 are not as tight of a tolerance as the p64, at an asking price of around USD600-650 (plus shipping it varies from usd100 or more), id say it is not that bad. With that said, NOBODY will tell you that this is NOT the clone of P64, as it clearly is.

I will follow through with more in-depth write up. So far I have slapped up my cast V2 on it, alligned the burrs, modified the exit chute. Taste is subjective, but I've had some of the best coffee I ever have with this setup.

#49: Post by Capuchin Monk (original poster) »

naz1511 wrote: 3 - 1400rpm (I kept it here)
So did I. It seems to be the happy medium.
So far I have slapped up my cast V2 on it, alligned the burrs, modified the exit chute.
Can't wait to read about it. :D