New Ceado E5SD single dose grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
EspressoN00b

#1: Post by EspressoN00b »

This one looks interesting, and hopefully at a much lower price point than E37SD. 300w with 64mm flat burrs:

https://www.ceado.com/en/product/89.html

truemagellen

#2: Post by truemagellen »

The high end home market for brand grinders is shifting finally

leonelbego

#3: Post by leonelbego »

EspressoN00b wrote:This one looks interesting, and hopefully at a much lower price point than E37SD. 300w with 64mm flat burrs:

https://www.ceado.com/en/product/89.html

I have the E37SD, and is a fantastic grinder, but this seems to be a great choice as well... and for sure is going to be at a much lower price. what it makes the E37SD very expensive are the huge 83 Titanium burrs, the Quick set adjustment that works great, also the pulse buttom is very practical... the new E5SD do not have those options, having said that, if this E5SD was available at the time I got the E37SD I would have probably bought the E5SD which I am sure it will perform very well as well, and is a lot smaller.

Cheers,
Leo

leonelbego

#4: Post by leonelbego »

leonelbego wrote: I have the E37SD, and is a fantastic grinder, but this seems to be a great choice as well... and for sure is going to be at a much lower price. what it makes the E37SD very expensive are the huge 83 Titanium burrs, the Quick set adjustment that works great, also the pulse buttom is very practical... the new E5SD do not have those options, having said that, if this E5SD was available at the time I got the E37SD I would have probably bought the E5SD which I am sure it will perform very well as well, and is a lot smaller.

Cheers,
Leo

I stand correct, the E5SD also got the pulse buttom.

truemagellen

#5: Post by truemagellen »

This is basically what Option-O is offering with their Lagon 64.

Differences:
More standard vertical motor configuration.
Non variable RPM probably AC motor while Lagom is variable.
Very well known company
Italian made.
Likely sold through site sponsors with warranty/service centers.
Adjustment through larger wheel not a screw adjustment like the e37sd

Price? Unknown.

E37sd $2400
E37j $990 regular hopper, 64mm
E5p 660, why do I bring this up 64mm and similar spout design

devlin2427

#6: Post by devlin2427 »

Ceado overusing buzz words, again...

If the bean feeding principle is the same as the regular nonSD grinder what makes this single dose appropriate?

That tiny bellows helps with retention but your beans are still jumping like crazy...

lancealot

#7: Post by lancealot »

I am interested to see if they redesigned anything in the grinding chamber, exit shoot and static flap.I have an E6P and there is at least 5 grams of coffee tucked up in the grinder at any one time.

leonelbego

#8: Post by leonelbego »

devlin2427 wrote:Ceado overusing buzz words, again...

If the bean feeding principle is the same as the regular nonSD grinder what makes this single dose appropriate?

That tiny bellows helps with retention but your beans are still jumping like crazy...
the burrs are different.. they are coated, meaning less resistent to static and it doesnt matter how much you "wet" the beans before putting into the grinder... same thing with the E37SD, it has the titanium burrs, they are water resistent, so they won't rust.

also, they grind at a lower speed...

those little changes is what it makes a single doser different to a "normal* grinder... I asked all these questions to Ceado before I changed from my E37S to the E37SD, the components inside are different... some people believe that only adding the bellow on the E37S will work exactly the same way as the E37SD, that is completely wrong.

Leo

NISMO_Juke

#9: Post by NISMO_Juke »

devlin2427 wrote:Ceado overusing buzz words, again...

I must ask why is there such complaining over the popcorning effect? Pretty much every grinder I've used/owned has had a popcorn effect for the last 4-5 grams. Just the nature of the beast and to offset that I can simply grind the last bit a touch finer and I get the same great consistent results. I even have a few OLD quality cylindrical espresso-specific hand grinders and even hand cranking at 45-60 rpm there is a bit of popcorning near the end, but the grind quality/consistency is still superb.

iploya

#10: Post by iploya »

I haven't dug too far into the details yet but at a glance this appears to be based on their popular E5P/E6P, same or similar chassis, same size burrs (yet coated)....and a stainless steel grounds cup like the Niche Zero. For all the discussion on what impact the Niche Zero would have on the market, I would say this is evidence it is already having an impact. Agree with the above poster this is a parallel step in the right direction for the home consumer.