New Ceado E5SD single dose grinder - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
wachuko

#21: Post by wachuko »

Can I do the same with an E5P?

I would like to explore using a flat burrs grinder... but I do not want to make the jump now to another KafaTek until I am certain... Happy with my KafaTek Conical, but you guys know how it is... wanting to try different things.
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Iambware

#22: Post by Iambware »

Does anyone own this yet? Seems like this should be a pretty popular grinder on here

Qrumcof

#23: Post by Qrumcof »

EDIT: Im talking about the E37sd below (sorry, indidnt notice the heading was e5sd).

I am using the E37S, which is substantially similar to the SD. Compared to my old Mazzer mini the E37S is amazing (it's quiet, grinds fast, almost 0 retention, and has the micro adjustment worm gear; and the mini failed all 4 of these).

Because it was such a large purchase buying the E37s, I want to make sure I get it right. So, I'm contemplating sending it back for the SD (but it's hard to imagine what $800 more will get me,. Titanium burrs, bellows funnel hopper, and a slightly slower engine speed).

But, I'm using the E37S as a single Doser, and it was not designed for that. Which means I don't have the weight of coffee beans in the hopper that it was designed for. An experienced barista told me that shots will taste different when the hopper starts to run low on beans.

So with no beans at all in the hopper (both grinders), no one seems to know how the S & the SD would compare against each other. I'm trying to emphasize the SD was designed to operate in single dose mode, and that might translate to taste in the cup.

More than one person has told me that there should be little or no difference in the cup.. but I'm never sure if that's just sales talk. Hopefully grinders in this class of incredible engineering should make damn good coffee either way. But that's just me guessing and supposing.

oldcracker

#24: Post by oldcracker »

It seems to me that unless the grind quality is markedly better than that of the Niche, this is going to be waaaay upmarket and needlessly so. I've got a Niche being delivered Tuesday or Wednesday, new from the manufacturer, at a cost of just over half of the Ceado. The look may be different from that of more traditional grinders, but it doesn't bother me $500-600 worth. And I got the grinder delivered (unless U.S. Customs holds it up) in 2 weeks. Given the current health situation in Italy I think that deliveries of the Ceado may be held up for some time. The static and retention issues that higher RPM flat grinders have are apparently not of concern with the Niche.

wachuko

#25: Post by wachuko replying to oldcracker »

But you are forgetting (or maybe not) Conical (Niche) vs Flat (Ceado) burrs...

I think that for conincal single dose grinder, for the price, Niche is the way to go...

In my case I was looking to experiment with a flat burrs, single-dose grinder before making the jump to another KafaTek... maybe I should just stay put with what I have and not waste the money on an interim grinder...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Renegade

#26: Post by Renegade »

If the grinding chamber and chute design is not modified for single dosing, it is still a hopper grinder with a bellow mod, which is irrelevant IMO. I mean, Home Depot and Eureka are already able to squeeze a bellow in the throat of a hopper grinder...

Ceado's grind/build quality has always been ok with me, but I think the single dosing mods they are releasing recently is a concern. I would be curious to compare the E5P / E5SD particles size distribution range when single dosed...

Stop clowning hopper grinders for single dosing usage please.

HotLava

#27: Post by HotLava »

I'm speaking from experience. I returned an e6p For the niche. The niche is quieter, less wasteful and easier to dial in. The Ceado's big bulky collar has wide hash marks and the slightest adjustment leads to a big change in grind setting. As far as build quality they feel similar. Both are solid. A lot of people wind up altering the Ceado to suite their needs. I'm a set it and forget it guy. I also have to question the longevity of the bellows. These parts take a beating. How long before the material develops cracks air leaks? Are they cheap to replace.

The e5 and e6 burr chamber has a lot of dead space. There is a large gap from the burr to the schute. It holds about 5 grams. So you have to purge This out. This is a non issue with single dose. The e37s has a 83mm burr set which takes up this gap therefore has very little dead space to collect grinds. This should be a fairly successful single doser.

I know the Ceados have a big following. My intent is not to offend.
Joe

oldcracker

#28: Post by oldcracker »

Wachuko, I wasn't forgetting the differences in the cup between flat and conical grinders. I was simply thinking that for my (uneducated) palate, the degree of discernible difference doesn't rise to the level of importance which the difference in price does (YMMV). The difference might even be in favor of the Niche, since I'm not yet exploring the lighter roast end of the coffee spectrum.

I realize that the direct to the customer sales model is responsible for the price level; there is no distributor to need another bit of profit for handling the stocking and sales costs. I have to wonder, however, what the Niche price would be if they were following the more traditional sales model (they're still selling through Indiegogo). Would the price be at the thousand plus level? And even if this were so, there are reasons to go in this direction. At the very least consider that this isn't a repurposed hopper feed grinder, rather it's designed up as a single dose machine.

pcdawson

#29: Post by pcdawson »

I think longevity will be an interesting thing to compare between these two grinders. With the ES5 I'm guessing part of the reason for the price difference is the materials used - more metal and less plastic, perhaps?

HotLava

#30: Post by HotLava »

The Ceado is definitely built like a tank. I'm curious what the difference is, if any to the burr chamber, that makes this a single doser. Flat burrs feed from the top then grind and throw the grinds out the sides. Would hope they redesigned the burr chamber if they are asking >$1100 for this unit. At that price you are getting closer to 75mm burr grinders.
Joe