New Ceado E37S - initial impressions and more (over time) - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
CarloM (original poster)

#41: Post by CarloM (original poster) »

trunks235 wrote:Hi all,

So... a few weeks into using the machine and must say that I love the grinds that come out. Super fluffy etc. BUT...I'm reallt missing the sette for 1 main item: grind adjustment. It's so darn hard to tweak my grind level on the e37s vs the sette (which was super simple). This has been making fine tuning my shots really difficult. I'm also trying to get used to the fact that changing the grind setting slightly changes the amount of grinds over a fixed period of time. Ie: 4 seconds of grinding at 4 yields 18 grams, 4 seconds of grinding at 4.2ish yields 19.5 grams. Is this normal? I assume so.. just something I'll have to live with.

I must say that while I love the grinder otherwise, this one factor has made dialing in my shots a real pain, and I try to avoid wasting coffee so I won't throw my shot away to try again. Any tips?
My E37S was a bit tough to adjust out-of-the-box. I was considering investigating whether to oil it somewhere to loosen the adjustment, but instead I developed a technique where, to tighten it, my thumb and forefinger were on the adjustment lever, and my three other fingers were placed on the side of the base of the machine for leverage. This allowed me to get sufficient force to adjust the lever with one hand, while using the other hand to pulse the machine on manual mode to keep the burrs moving if I was making the grind finer. If I was making the grind coarser I didn't bother with having the motor running, so that adjustment was an easy 2-handed affair.

That said, the worm gear replacement has been a godsend. It's not super easy to adjust grind with an easy turn of the knob.