New Ceado E37J trouble dialing in - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#11: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Not a specific response as I don't have this grinder, but the article mentioned in the thread below can provide you some insights into the why of certain things.

Schomer; Coffee Grinder Call to Action?

Hope this helps.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Peter_SVK

#12: Post by Peter_SVK »

Dutchcoffegeek wrote:...
Now, what I am noticing is that there is always some coffee stuck behind the SCC flap. I believe that is causing some clumping, but don't know for sure...
There should be some amount of coffee behing the flapper (in horizontal exit chute from grinding chamber) for effective anti-clumping and timer dosing. On the other hand that amount increases the retention.

Advertisement
Velospresso

#13: Post by Velospresso »

So I have had the e37s for a while now. The grinder has seen at least 10 pounds. Weight and grind size is very consistent.

The trick to dial in is go slow on grind adjustment. Either purge the grinder of previous grind size or wait for a second shot to confirm grind size if you don't want to purge. Use a scale and manual mode until you find the right grind size. Only then program grind time.

For my needs with medium roast rarely do I have to coarsen or adjust finer the grind or modify grind time.

Variance in grind weight is about .5g higher or lower on 18g dose. I have the extra shot button at .3 seconds to give about .5g for this.

Sure it takes a lot of coffee to get the perfect result the first time, but once dialed in it's really stable.

Are you guys using the J, been able to dial in ?

Carmd1281

#14: Post by Carmd1281 »

Single dose that bad boy for a consistent grind. A different level of beans above the grind chamber (weight) will affect the grind result. Also limits the bean waste. After you grind the beans through clean the chute and then turn on the empty grinder one more time to further clean the chute. Enter consistency!!!
Carm
New York, NY

Kaipay

#15: Post by Kaipay »

Velospresso wrote:So I have had the e37s for a while now. The grinder has seen at least 10 pounds. Weight and grind size is very consistent.

The trick to dial in is go slow on grind adjustment. Either purge the grinder of previous grind size or wait for a second shot to confirm grind size if you don't want to purge. Use a scale and manual mode until you find the right grind size. Only then program grind time.

For my needs with medium roast rarely do I have to coarsen or adjust finer the grind or modify grind time.

Variance in grind weight is about .5g higher or lower on 18g dose. I have the extra shot button at .3 seconds to give about .5g for this.

Sure it takes a lot of coffee to get the perfect result the first time, but once dialed in it's really stable.

Are you guys using the J, been able to dial in ?
Yes, it is stable when it it dialed in, but if you change the coffee beans to a maybe a lighter roast, then you'll maybe have a problem.

Quester

#16: Post by Quester »

plpoindexter wrote:Hey y'all
I just bought a Ceado E37J grinder because I needed not to wake up the house with my coffee addiction Ceado is by far a quieter machine. I am new to the barista world. 6 months a go I bought a Rocket Espresso R58 and the Rancilio Rocky Grinder. I was able to pull pretty good shots after a few weeks. Issue is with the just purchased Ceado grinder. I have gone through 5 lbs of coffee and there is just no consistency. Weights differ, pull time differs, lots of channeling, taste is bitter.

My process - grind 18 g, distribute evenly with the ONA distribution tool, tamp with a 30 lb calibrated tamper on a tamper rest, beans are usually 6 to 15 days old from a local roaster (Colorado River Coffee Roaster).

I can use this process on the Rancilio grinder and I get great shots, same process using the Ceado grinder and I never know what I am going to get. I have adjusted the grind setting (about 10 different settings) and i may get a decent shot then i get bathed in espresso and have changed nothing. I have not yet been able to make even one espresso from the Ceado as good tasting as the Rancilio. Any help would be appreciated.
1. Check alignment with an ink test.

2. On some of the flats I've used, the first shot with cold burrs is quite a bit different than shots after they warm up. So, if I pulled a lot of shots and came back two hours later, I would have to adjust (loosen).

3. Cheaper grinders with a lot of fines can restrict flow in a way that masks prep issues.

4. Most of the things I blamed old grinders for in terms of consistency was because of my prep. I've pulled at least 10,000 shots in the last eight years, and I'm still improving prep. I thought I was really good after the first few months--I wasn't.

5. Be careful about "chasing the grind" by changing settings a lot. If a shot suddenly runs fast, it's not the setting, it's most likely channeling. Leave the setting, be even more careful with prep, and pull again.

6. Big burrs take a lot of grinding to fully season. For me, it's often 15-25 lbs before things start to settle. My EG-1 was quite different at the end of the first year than at the beginning. But I doubt that's your primary issue.

That's a solid grinder. You will be getting good shots once you get a handle on things (assuming it's not out of alignment).

howardm

#17: Post by howardm »

I've had my 37J for about 2 weeks and have had essentially none of those 'variation' issues.

Very consistently puts out almost exactly 2 gm/sec so my puck is about 8.5s for 17g (on grind setting 4.1).
No clumping at all but w/ my 53mm portafilter, I do find that the outlet chute puts all the grinds in the back
so I have to tilt the PF upwards so the grinds 'fall' forward. Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet
but maybe a small extension on the start button or a flap contraption (I see that Ceado makes one but
they appear to be impossible to actually get).

Advertisement
DavidGinNYC
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by DavidGinNYC »

Interesting. My E37 S grinds 18g in about 4.3 seconds, with grind setting around 2.5 (on a scale of 1-5). This produces 36g out on my Profitec Pro500. This is for medium to med-dark roast beans e.g. Stumptown Hair Bender. For similar beans my dial in adjustments are usually /- 0.2 on grind setting and +/- 0.5 seconds.

Is the difference between my E37S and your J due to burr size? Or sample variation? Or beans? I'm surprised it's such a big difference in grind time.

Peter_SVK

#19: Post by Peter_SVK »

Obviously, for the same company (i.e. burrs quality and burrs geometry) it's a matter of burrs size (64mm/J vs. 83mm/S burrs). Between companies it's also a matter of burrs sharpness and geometry :wink: , e.g. MK E65S with 65mm burrs grinds 18g in 3.6s in average.

howardm

#20: Post by howardm »

DavidGinNYC wrote:Interesting. My E37 S grinds 18g in about 4.3 seconds, with grind setting around 2.5 (on a scale of 1-5). This produces 36g out on my Profitec Pro500. This is for medium to med-dark roast beans e.g. Stumptown Hair Bender. For similar beans my dial in adjustments are usually /- 0.2 on grind setting and +/- 0.5 seconds.

Is the difference between my E37S and your J due to burr size? Or sample variation? Or beans? I'm surprised it's such a big difference in grind time.
As the other poster mentioned, I would suppose it's a burr sizing thing. Although, I will say that I kind of like the smaller/slower output as it gives me time to shake the PF or make a small adjustment.