New Baratza grinder: the Sette Series - Page 104

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
day

#1031: Post by day »

Coffee Addict wrote:Then the beans are inhibiting the wobble. If your burrs have even a slight wobble, your $500 burr grinder will perform little better than a $25 blade grinder. I would return it under warranty and hope it isn't a weakness of the model in general.

That's what I felt. I will take a video and make sure I am not missing anything.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

IMAWriter

#1032: Post by IMAWriter »

Coffee Addict wrote:Then the beans are inhibiting the wobble. If your burrs have even a slight wobble, your $500 burr grinder will perform little better than a $25 blade grinder. I would return it under warranty and hope it isn't a weakness of the model in general.
It's not, if you had read my post. If you own one, as your profile suggests, you'd know it's not an issue as well, or you would have returned YOURS.

Advertisement
day

#1033: Post by day replying to IMAWriter »

You are coming across a bit aggressive on this one imo. Wouldn't it make more sense to just ask him if he had checked his without beans?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Coffee Addict

#1034: Post by Coffee Addict »

There is a difference between a weakness and a feature: a weakness will not always be manifested. If we are seeing even one Sette with a specific problem, given the limited number in operation at this point, it *might* be a sign of things to come.

zimberto

#1035: Post by zimberto »

Coffee Addict wrote:There is a difference between a weakness and a feature: a weakness will not always be manifested. If we are seeing even one Sette with a specific problem, given the limited number in operation at this point, it *might* be a sign of things to come. Let's hope not...
Have you seen the part of the Sette user guide that says: "After the first few pounds of coffee, the grind produced at the lowest setting may not be fine enough for espresso. To shift the grind range finer, a small washer (included) can be installed below the cone burr." :shock:

What is it that could happen during the first few pounds of coffee that would require a shim to be fitted? I would think that it's not the face of the burrs getting seasoned because that would be of the order of micrometers. More like plastic stretching (if my experience of the Vario is anything to go by), and good luck with that!

TomC
Team HB

#1036: Post by TomC »

Guys, take a deep breath. I have edited out the snark in the last posts and put this thread on cool down for a bit.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

floydo

#1037: Post by floydo »

dominico wrote:A solder bridge essentially creates a short; if the state of that particular transistor was an input to the the control circuit that activates the motor then being "always on" could definitely cause it to activate at unexpected times.

A solder bridge in the wrong place on any appliance could cause similar issues.
Agree....although the short was not apparent day 1, the behavior was consistent thereafter....I am really liken' the replacement grinder

Advertisement
LukeFlynn

#1038: Post by LukeFlynn »

I'm going to try and purchase a Sette to use alongside my Major near the end of the year. If it's as good as I think it's going to be, I'll likely end up removing the Major and getting a second one for decaf spro or drip.

chrisbodnarphoto

#1039: Post by chrisbodnarphoto replying to LukeFlynn »

This makes me curious! Is there something about the Major you don't like? Mostly a size issue? It just seems a little crazy to me to replace an 83mm flat burr set with that of the Sette. I know it's not all about burr size ... but those 83's are something fantastic. :)

IMAWriter

#1040: Post by IMAWriter replying to chrisbodnarphoto »

Have to agree here with Chris. The Major is a VERY popular grinder here in some cafes. It's sort of apples and oranges with it and a Sette. Keep your Major, as some coffees seem to do better in the flat burr, others the conical.