New $200 Baratza Encore ESP does espresso

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

Not really noticed in all the SCA coverage, but at $199MAP, I can see this grinder becoming very popular as a "starter" or first grinder. (We all know upgrade-itis is inevitable :oops:.)

- has M2 cone burr
- 20 micro-steps for espresso plus 20 steps for coarser grinds
- includes dosing catch cup and regular grounds container

https://baratza.com/introducing-the-encore-esp/
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

My guess is that it will soon/eventually replace the Smart Grinder Pro

tennisman03110

#3: Post by tennisman03110 »

I have an Encore, with upgraded M2 and stepless (home modifications).

It works for espresso. When my Sette 270 was down, I used the Encore for a bit. Certainly has the range to choke a machine, all the way up to French Press.

Biggest issue is grind inconsistency, especially with lighter roasts. It's evident the Sette 270 and my 1Zpresso JX both blow the Encore/M2 away.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

I meant to mention it but guess I forgot. Looks like a reasonable intro solution for doing both espresso and pour over. Didn't get to use it but saw how it worked and as long as hits a reasonably setting in the espresso range, the adjustment is plenty fine enough it should be easy to dial in the grind. Might even do a decent job of repeating while moving between brew and espresso. Don't know anything about the burrs, but the rest of looks good.

Ira

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Are the burrs steel?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

The M2 burr set is, as I recall, the better of the Preciso/Virtuoso burrs -- https://baratza.com/encore-upgrade-gb2-0/

MemPast

#7: Post by MemPast »

I replaced the burr in the Encore I used to have with the M2 burr. Also, I did stepless mod. I went from grinding at step 10 to step 4 on the same coffee I used with my La Pavoni Euro. I was able to go finer and choke my Euro.
I drink medium-dark roasts, so not sure about light roasts. The espresso was the best I had with my setup then. Inconsistency was an issue though, but I would say the stepless mod did not work well, and was jerky, and that might have contributed to the issue. So, I guess the new adjustment system might be the solution to the inconsistency I experienced to some degree.

boren

#8: Post by boren »

It doesn't seem to have a timer. Baratza should add one or sell it with their single-dose hopper.

tennisman03110

#9: Post by tennisman03110 »

Adding a timer would be an electrical change. Plus modify the casing.

Right now it seems to be cosmetic changes only. That's what is keeping price down. The Encore single doses fine enough, plus has a little purge button for the last few beans.

cmin

#10: Post by cmin »

So basically an refreshed Preciso. I had one way back in the day, when they added M2 burr (it used to use a different conical). For people on a budge and don't want to hand grind seems like it'll be a good option. All the Preciso was, was the Virtuoso with a micro adjustment collar added to make espresso capable.