New $200 Baratza Encore ESP does espresso - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
truemagellen

#11: Post by truemagellen »

The adjustment mechanism is different so there is a potential for an improvement in consistency that could not be achieved by moding the original encore.

I'd probably consider it as a travel grinder if it can break through lighter beans a bit better than the Lagom mini

Jessipoo

#12: Post by Jessipoo »

found this video yesterday
super cool grinder, great budget grinder I feel this could replace the Smart Grinder from Breville and even the Sette 270 if it's able to do pour over properly! It makes switching back and forth so much easier

Advertisement
boren

#13: Post by boren »

More than 8 months have passed since this grinder was announced. Has anyone actually seen one in person?

ira
Team HB

#14: Post by ira »

I played with one at SCA in Boston last year, but just to understand the functionality.

hotseed

#15: Post by hotseed »

Hi all! First post here. My Rancilio Rocky has done a pretty good job for several years -not a great job, but pretty good. I've always kept an eye on new grinders in the $150-250 range, but so far none was really worth switching to. Now that the ESP is out, I'm thinking of selling my Rocky (they still go for about ~175-250 on Ebay) and buying the ESP. I usually make 1-2 espressos w/ my Breville Infuser and 1 filter cup per day; I gravitate more toward medium roast beans.
My main frustration with the Rocky is that the grind (even with newly replaced OEM flat burrs) is not fine/consistent enough to give a 27sec pull with 18g; a secondary frustration is that it retains 0.5-1g (even with a modded shoot and a funneled single-dose hopper) forcing me to plunge and brush the remnants out, spraying them everywhere...I know, first world problems. My main hesitation in switching is that the Rocky is built like a tank and will likely outlive me while the ESP is...not.
I'd love to get some thoughts & recommendations on this.
thanks,
Garrett

syc

#16: Post by syc »

Have you done burr alignment on your Rocky? I was able to pull pretty consistent shot from my old Gaggia MDF after replaced the old burrs and aligning them. It's another 50mm flat burr in the same general category as the Rocky - though I don't know if you want to go grinder hacking to shim the burrs.