Need help with used Mahlkonig K30 Vario

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mike01

Postby mike01 » Oct 15, 2018, 3:38 pm

I just purchased a Mahlkonig K30 Vario from eBay that was listed in "like new condition". I just received it today. I have two issues with the grinder. First, it was apparently dropped in shipment damaging the upper ring of the grinder. This appears to be purely cosmetic and this part is replaceable and available from Mahlkonig. The second issue I'm having concerns me more. It appears the burrs are not parallel. When adjusting the burrs to zero and rotating the lower burr carrier by hand there range where the burrs are touching when rotating the lower burr and then not touching if you continue to rotate. I however, do not see any wobble in the carrier or shaft when the motor is spinning. I disassembled everything and cleaned both burr carriers and under the burrs so they are spotless. What could cause this? I spoke to Mahlkonig USA about this and they said I could try replacing the upper burr carrier. I just wanted to see if anybody had any other suggestions, as this part is very expensive. Thanks.

day

Postby day » replying to mike01 » Oct 15, 2018, 4:00 pm

Since it was Ebay you should just return it to the seller via Ebay as damaged. If he offered free returns he may give you a partial refund without notice, but all you would have to do is open a case and Ebay would refund you the difference.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

HoldTheOnions

Postby HoldTheOnions » Oct 15, 2018, 9:56 pm

mike01 wrote:The second issue I'm having concerns me more. It appears the burrs are not parallel. When adjusting the burrs to zero and rotating the lower burr carrier by hand there range where the burrs are touching when rotating the lower burr and then not touching if you continue to rotate. I however, do not see any wobble in the carrier or shaft when the motor is spinning. I disassembled everything and cleaned both burr carriers and under the burrs so they are spotless. What could cause this?

If you can't see any obvious wobble indicating a fault with bearings, etc., then it sounds normal to me. The factory doesn't align the burrs and you typically have to do it yourself by shimming them. Search "burr alignment" and will find a bunch of threads on this subject. Generally involves using a dry erase marker and writing on the burrs, then zeroing the burrs to see where the high point(s) are, and then using tape or foil to shim them out on the low points. Also generally a tedious process.

mike01

Postby mike01 » replying to HoldTheOnions » Oct 15, 2018, 11:08 pm

I saw a couple threads discussing shimming burrs. I considered that, but the burrs on this seem to be less parallel than what I've seen on my past grinders which include a couple of Mazzers and a Mahlkonig Pro-M.

mike01

Postby mike01 » Oct 15, 2018, 11:13 pm

day wrote:Since it was Ebay you should just return it to the seller via Ebay as damaged. If he offered free returns he may give you a partial refund without notice, but all you would have to do is open a case and Ebay would refund you the difference.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware this was an option. I rather not do this to the seller, but think I may go this route. I doubt UPS is going to do much for covering the cost of the damage and since the cost to replace the damaged part is over $200, I think it's a no brainer. If I put any more money into this, I would have been better off purchasing new.

day

Postby day » replying to mike01 » Oct 16, 2018, 1:33 am

If you think it was definitely UPS at fault then I would work with the seller to get the warranty claim but also send it back. As a pretty regular Ebay seller I would have offered free returns, and then on getting it back opened and damaged I would do a 50% refund, so don't be surprised if he does that (it is a pretty new update, where free returns allows partial refunds) but it will protect the seller so he won't lose money on the transaction. Some buyers get really upset but I have never had a customer fail to get their money back from Ebay and had like 7 laptops partially refunded in the past month alone...The real purpose seems to be to allow Ebay to monitor IP addresses, bank accounts, and other buyer information and then associate that information across multiple accounts so they can block scammers, while hoping to boost sales with free returns. If the seller didn't offer free returns just return it as damaged and don't feel bad, he should have switched to free returns if he wanted to protect himself.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

mike01

Postby mike01 » Oct 22, 2018, 9:40 pm

Well, I ended up submitting a claim through UPS on the first grinder, which apparently ended with UPS returning the grinder to the seller. I am in the process of getting a refund through eBay.

I also purchased a second K30 from a different seller. The second grinder acts identical with how parallel the burrs are, so I do not think there was an issue with the first grinder. This still concerns me because when the grinder is calibrated the way specified in the manual, that is, the burrs do not touch when set at 0 with no beans, it will not grind fine enough. The only way I can get a fine enough grind is to have the grinder calibrated with the zero point (burrs touching) at a higher setting and then grind below this point to get a fine enough grind. Is this damaging the burrs, or is there significant play in the adjustment mechanism so that the burrs aren't touching when loaded? Thanks.

sluflyer06

Postby sluflyer06 » Oct 22, 2018, 10:40 pm

mike01 wrote:The only way I can get a fine enough grind is to have the grinder calibrated with the zero point (burrs touching) at a higher setting and then grind below this point to get a fine enough grind.

Are you trying to single dose your grinder? When I tried to single dose my k30 you basically couldn't set it fine enough, and then once I filled the throat with beans it was like you'd expect, you could easily totally choke the machine.

mike01

Postby mike01 » Oct 23, 2018, 7:03 am

Nope. I am running with the hopper at least half full. The original grinder I received seemed to perform this way as well. It will grind fine enough if you go below the zero point, but I have yet to choke my Duetto.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

Postby JohnB. » Oct 23, 2018, 7:14 am

mike01 wrote:The only way I can get a fine enough grind is to have the grinder calibrated with the zero point (burrs touching) at a higher setting and then grind below this point to get a fine enough grind. Is this damaging the burrs, or is there significant play in the adjustment mechanism so that the burrs aren't touching when loaded? Thanks.

Are you hearing the burrs touch (chirping noise) when you set the zero point? If so I don't see how you could be grinding below the zero point as you state in your post.
LMWDP 267