Need help with used Mahlkonig K30 Vario - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by DucaiMann »

mike01 wrote:Yeah, it seemed really strange to me as well. I completely disassembled the grinder that was having issues and made sure the burrs were seated properly and visually inspected everything, which looked great. Based on the shot counter, the burrs should have had plenty of life left too. Have you checked the shot counters on yours and might the burrs need replacing?
Yeah, the left chamber is in the 100s and the right has about 39000 shots through it. I have a dial indicator and even checked run-out. I took everything apart and it all looks brand new. I even spoke with mahlkonig and they are stumped. It makes no sense. I have all the latest upgrades to the machine as well. Very strange.

I have new burrs showing up tomorrow, so maybe that will do it, but I doubt it. The ones I have seem to be in great shape.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by JohnB. »

While it is certainly odd that both grind chambers have this problem the issue is nothing new & the Mahlkonig techs in Ca. have been dealing with it for years. I ran into this several years ago when I updated an older K30 with the newer grind chamber, burrs ect. By the time I finally got a halfway decent espresso grind range they had replaced just about every new part above the motor trying to find which part was out of wack. The tech told me that the biggest problem was that it almost never was the same part causing the issue. Doesn't say much for Mahlkonig quality control.
LMWDP 267

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by DucaiMann replying to JohnB. »

That's dissapointing. I was told this problem had "never been seen before" and it was suggested to me that it had to be the burrs. I will know for sure this afternoon though. I don't think I will be able to get myself to ever buy a Mahlkonig grinder for my shops in the future if I can't get this figured out.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by JohnB. »

Maybe they've never seen both sides of a Twin with the issue but if Brian is still in Tech Support he is very familiar with the little or no espresso range issue.
LMWDP 267

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by DucaiMann replying to JohnB. »

I believe it is him that I spoke to. Either way, we will know for certain if there is in fact something wrong with the grinder when the new burrs show up. Will post results!

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by DucaiMann »

So, I received my burrs today and nervously installed them. I don't believe they are deburred from the factory so they felt very sharp (sharper than the ones in the grinder).

Swapped them and held my breath, but not for long. Setting it to the finest setting (one notch before touching), and the pour came out with almost no pressure.

Something that I really love about the decent epsresso machine is that it really allows you to dial in what is wrong without second guessing yourself. You get to see how much pressure and flow is being put through the coffee. In this case, the pressure could get up to 2 bar before the flow was so fast the final pour time was 12-15 seconds. No bueno.

I thought the new burrs numbers etc might have done it but no luck.

I'm sending the grinder to mahlkonig to see what they can do.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by JohnB. »

I tried 3 different sets of burrs, none solved the problem. As I recall it was one of the burr mounts.
LMWDP 267