Need help with used Mahlkonig K30 Vario - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sluflyer06

Postby sluflyer06 » Oct 23, 2018, 8:59 am

mike01 wrote:Nope. I am running with the hopper at least half full. The original grinder I received seemed to perform this way as well. It will grind fine enough if you go below the zero point, but I have yet to choke my Duetto.

Keep in mind the numbers are just for reference, they mean nothing. When I got mine I "calibrated" the #'s so that 0 was burrs touching but it was not setup this way from the factory.

mike01

Postby mike01 » Oct 23, 2018, 9:02 am

Yes. I have it calibrated with the burrs touching (chirping noise) at 2, but I pulled this mornings shot at a setting of around 1. This has me very confused. The burrs seem to be roughly parallel. I tried shimming them to see if this would help (using a marker on outer edge of burr) and I couldn't get it any better than with no shims. If this is normal, I won't worry, but if not I'm worried about putting excess wear on the burrs.

yvizel

Postby yvizel » Oct 23, 2018, 11:36 am

mike01 wrote:The only way I can get a fine enough grind is to have the grinder calibrated with the zero point (burrs touching) at a higher setting and then grind below this point to get a fine enough grind.

It sounds like you have one of those "faulty" K30s.
Around 2014, there was a batch of K30s that had a problematic grinding chamber. I know it because I was "lucky" enough to get one of those grinders.
No matter what I did, I could not grind fine enough. Since I was a "rookie" back then, my solution was to only pull 23g of coffee. That was the only amount for which I could get a decent flow rate, when grinding at near 0 (0 - touching burrs).

By the time I realized something was wrong with my grinder, it was no longer covered by warranty.
Luckily enough, the guy @ Mahlkonig USA gave me a discount on a new grinding chamber. I do not remember exactly, but it was ~$150.
After installing the new grinding chamber - all problems were gone. I rarely use my K30 these days, but when dosing 18g, the settings are at around 3 - and I get the right flow.

I may be selling mine, but I haven't decided yet :mrgreen:

mike01

Postby mike01 » Oct 23, 2018, 12:08 pm

yvizel wrote:It sounds like you have one of those "faulty" K30s.
Around 2014, there was a batch of K30s that had a problematic grinding chamber. I know it because I was "lucky" enough to get one of those grinders.
No matter what I did, I could not grind fine enough. Since I was a "rookie" back then, my solution was to only pull 23g of coffee. That was the only amount for which I could get a decent flow rate, when grinding at near 0 (0 - touching burrs).

By the time I realized something was wrong with my grinder, it was no longer covered by warranty.
Luckily enough, the guy @ Mahlkonig USA gave me a discount on a new grinding chamber. I do not remember exactly, but it was ~$150.
After installing the new grinding chamber - all problems were gone. I rarely use my K30 these days, but when dosing 18g, the settings are at around 3 - and I get the right flow.

This sounds exactly like what is happening with mine. Thanks for the info. Just wondering what kind of shape the burrs are in if it's been like this since new and I'm the third owner even though it has minimal use based on the shot counter.

yvizel

Postby yvizel » Oct 23, 2018, 2:43 pm

The shot counter does not mean much.
I used to use the K30 as a single doser (the "not fine enough" problem was not due to that, with the faulty chamber it didn't matter if I had beans in the hopper or not) - so I would keep on hitting the "grinding" button a few times just to get all the ground coffee out.

I think I did not grind more than 200 pounds of coffee through my K30, and the burrs don't seem to have any sign of wear.

mike01

Postby mike01 » Nov 01, 2018, 10:35 pm

Well, I'm fairly certain that the grinder has a faulty grind chamber. After dealing with issues with issues with 2 different K30s, I got sick of dealing with it and just purchased a brand new K30. I have some 3 month old Lavazza Super Crema to dial the grinder in with, which would normally take a very fine grind since it's fairly stale, and I was able to completely choke my Duetto with a 14 gram shot with the grinder set at 0 (burrs calibrated not to touch). Once I got it dialed in, I settled on a grind setting of 2. I will be selling the first K30 for someone else that would like to fix it.

DucaiMann

Postby DucaiMann » replying to mike01 » Mar 21, 2019, 8:16 pm

Were you ever able to get this sorted? I bought a 2016 K30 twin and am having the same issues. Both sides do not grind fine enough for my espresso machine.

mike01

Postby mike01 » replying to DucaiMann » Mar 21, 2019, 11:24 pm

Rather than invest more time and money to try to fix the grinder, I elected to sell it and buy a brand new one. While I was able to calibrate the first grinder to grind fine enough, I had to grind below the point where the burrs touched with no beans in the hopper to get an acceptable shot. One my new K30, I am grinding 3 notches coarser than the true zero point in about 3 seconds for a double shot. I still don't know what was wrong with the first grinder I had. Sorry this isn't more helpful, but good luck in getting yours straightened out.

DucaiMann

Postby DucaiMann » replying to mike01 » Mar 21, 2019, 11:28 pm

Wow. That seems really crazy. Now I'm worried I just blew $2000 on a large paperweight.

mike01

Postby mike01 » replying to DucaiMann » Mar 24, 2019, 10:36 pm

Yeah, it seemed really strange to me as well. I completely disassembled the grinder that was having issues and made sure the burrs were seated properly and visually inspected everything, which looked great. Based on the shot counter, the burrs should have had plenty of life left too. Have you checked the shot counters on yours and might the burrs need replacing?