Nautilus experiences

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
saamyjoon
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by saamyjoon »

Hi folks,

I'm interested in hearing folks' experience with the Nautilus and how they like it. I'm primarily interested in it for brews, but curious about uses for espresso too.

I couldn't find a thread on here specific to people's reviews/experiences using the Nautilus. If I missed it, feel free to yell at me and just point me in that direction.

Cheers

ira
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by ira »

I thought the Nautilus was a Titus grinder and there's just not a lot of them among our user to get much feedback. There's a few comments which can probably be found by searching.

Ira

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

FWIW, the newest revision of the Titus Nautilus only recently started being made - only minor changes as far as I can tell from their IG stories. I don't know if Titus is shipping the new revision yet.

The main knock against the grinder is that it has a separate off-the-shelf industrial power supply (which has the RPM control) and separate on/off switch. Most would want to hide the power supply - and perhaps also the on/off switch. However, the separate supply makes the grinder's size much more compact for a grinder with 98mm vertical burrs. In addition, some folks like that the grinder can be mounted hanging down from a shelf or cabinet.

The default SSP cast brew burrs and high-uniformity burrs for espresso are pretty much aimed at light roasts. Some might say light roasts only. Arguably darker roasts and traditional espresso roasts would be better served by other grinders/burrs.

malling

#4: Post by malling »

Nautilus is a Grinder by Titus, I don't think it's particular wide spread in america due to Kafatek, Weber Workshop & Levercraft and in Australia due to Option-O. I think you perhaps should read through the german coffee forum and if your german isn't strong then use translate.

https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/titu ... er.132899/

There is a little bit there to begin with... I think Europeans are you best chance of finding info about it, it hasn't existed long so it's not easy.

saamyjoon (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by saamyjoon (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:FWIW, the newest revision of the Titus Nautilus only recently started being made - only minor changes as far as I can tell from their IG stories. I don't know if Titus is shipping the new revision yet.

The main knock against the grinder is that it has a separate off-the-shelf industrial power supply (which has the RPM control) and separate on/off switch. Most would want to hide the power supply - and perhaps also the on/off switch. However, the separate supply makes the grinder's size much more compact for a grinder with 98mm vertical burrs. In addition, some folks like that the grinder can be mounted hanging down from a shelf or cabinet.

The default SSP cast brew burrs and high-uniformity burrs for espresso are pretty much aimed at light roasts. Some might say light roasts only. Arguably darker roasts and traditional espresso roasts would be better served by other grinders/burrs.
Yeah I've been doing a lot of Instagram digging and reading of the German forums.

It intrigues me since I do drink lightly roasted coffees (typically from the Nordic roasters).

The power supply is definitely not the prettiest thing, but I'm holding out hope that we might get something more aesthetically pleasing in the future.

I might be pulling the trigger on one of these. If I do, I can share my experiences here.

malling wrote:Nautilus is a Grinder by Titus, I don't think it's particular wide spread in america due to Kafatek, Weber Workshop & Levercraft and in Australia due to Option-O. I think you perhaps should read through the german coffee forum and if your german isn't strong then use translate.

https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/titu ... er.132899/

There is a little bit there to begin with... I think Europeans are you best chance of finding info about it, it hasn't existed long so it's not easy.

Right. Thanks for the info. I've been doing a lot of reading on that forum - super helpful. I was just curious if we had any Nautilus owners in this forum

pj.walczak

#6: Post by pj.walczak »

I have one, with 98 mm SSP HU burrs, dedicated for espresso.
Basically home version of EK43, which was always my end-game grinder, but because of size and noise, never decided to get one.
Titus is much smaller and silent. In my case, I am able to keep the PSU under the countertop, so the gridner footprint is really small.
Joy to use, great results in the cup.
I have the basic version without PF holder, so I grind to metal cup (part of the grinder) and then transfer to PF.
No RDT, but I use WDT, as it is easier for me to have decent distribution using WDT tool than just by shaking.
Titus offers multiple burr sets, I believe all from SSP. There are dedicated burrs to brew coffee if this is what you are looking for.
The HU SSP burrs have Titus coating on it.

---

Pawel

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by saamyjoon (original poster) » replying to pj.walczak »

Looks great. Yeah, I'm going to go for the model with brew burrs.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
TheodorAdorno

#8: Post by TheodorAdorno »

Hi everyone,

my first post on here, so please be kind to me!

I've had my Nautilus for just over a week and first impressions ...

I really like the look - I think it's the most stylish high-end grinder there is. It is built like a tank (I have a thing about the heft and feel of commercial equipment which I much prefer to the tinny feel of some [even high end] grinders). I almost got a "Shredder" (a double headed Titus so you can have 2 different burr sets) but I think I got the right one for me, because the Shredder looks a little too symmetrical whilst the slight asymmetry of the Titus is part of its design appeal for me.

Not particularly noisy and grinds quickly - I was watching an online video and saw the EG1 take ages to grind which, given I'm pathologically impatient, might get annoying after a while.

I can see why the separate power unit would put some people off, but soon I will be installing it on a dedicated large kitchen table with all my other kit and that way the power unit can go underneath the table/in a cupboard and out of the way, so it's not a problem for me.

I've got brew burrs installed and I had a High Uniformity set sent out as well. Currently, I've only used the Brew burrs for pour overs and Siphon coffee and really like the clarity of the flavours. If anyone else out there has changed the burrs on a Titus, please let me know how much of a faff it is. I was planning on swapping the burrs over in a couple of cleaning session's time.

I don't really have any complaints about it at all - if I was going to be picky, I'd say I'd prefer a permanent chute system for discharging the grind rather than sliding the dosing cup into the body of the grinder. The dosing cup fits about 36g of a medium-fine grind which is the exact dose I use for 600ml of siphon coffee, but to use the grinder for me and my wife's morning carafe (a Chemex with a cloth filter) requires two lots of grinding. A chute would also help guiding the grind directly into a portafilter. It's a very minor gripe and I'm sure there are others who prefer the way it is designed now, so it's not much of a criticism, just personal preference ...

Best to all,

Paul.
★ Helpful

Ejquin

#9: Post by Ejquin »

I have one as well and love it for brew. I'm coming from a 2018 Kafatek Flat with SSP red speed burrs and I wanted something better for brew coffee. I have it with the SSP Cast version of the EK pre-2015 burrs, though you can probably get it now with the new Titus Brew burr, which is similar but a little different. I echo all the previous comments, but would also add it's really easy to open up and clean out. It takes literally 30 seconds to open up and completely expose the inside and I'll clean out once a month or so. I actually really like the chute design, but I'm not doing espresso. I don't use RDT and get very little mess and next to no retention.
★ Helpful

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by saamyjoon (original poster) »

Mine just arrived yesterday. I got them with the brew burrs. I'll be sure to report back as I get some more experience with the grinder.