Nautilus experiences - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC »

saamyjoon wrote:Mine just arrived yesterday. I got them with the brew burrs. I'll be sure to report back as I get some more experience with the grinder.

I see you're in Oakland! If you ever want to meet up, I can bring my Titus. I'm very interested in a Nautilus grinder.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

saamyjoon (original poster)

#12: Post by saamyjoon (original poster) »

TomC wrote: I see you're in Oakland! If you ever want to meet up, I can bring my Titus. I'm very interested in a Nautilus grinder.
Sounds good. You're welcome to come check it out. Feel free to get in touch over PM.

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#13: Post by baldheadracing »

Has anyone used the Nautilus' brew burrs for EKspresso-style espresso? I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

baldheadracing
Team HB

#14: Post by baldheadracing »

pj.walczak wrote: I grind to metal cup (part of the grinder) and then transfer to PF.
I have kind of the same thing, but the cup isn't held in place - the upper lip of the catch cup has a slightly smaller diameter than a 58mm basket so the catch cup will center. For exclusively espresso use, the grinder takes EK43 accessories like Titus' portafilter holder. (Pic is just for size - I don't use the Nautilus' catch cup in the way shown in the pic below.)

Eiern

#15: Post by Eiern »

baldheadracing wrote:Has anyone used the Nautilus' brew burrs for EKspresso-style espresso? I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences.
I've used the new machined 98mm Brew burrs bought from Titus but I have them installed in my EK43S (with Titus carrier) and tried it briefly in my P100 as well.

I did pull some longer spro with it, a little under 1:3, clear and high extracting shots with not that much body/mouthfeel. I did like the results but prefer the Ultra Low Fines for a thicker mouthfeel and slightly more blending of flavors.

#16: Post by saamyjoon (original poster) »

Now that I've had the grinder for a bit, just wanted to share some of my thoughts in case it's helpful for others. I'll focus more on the unique aspects of the grinder itself, and not focus on the burrs.

It seems well established that most (all?) the 98mm burr grinders can produce awesome coffee. The Nautilus isn't different in this aspect. The coffee I've been making has been amazing. I've made cups of coffee I couldn't have with my prior grinder, an ~8 year old Vario. But that's not necessarily unique to the Nautilus, since you can get the same burrs in other grinders too. And ultimately, it seems apparent it's the burrs that dictate how good your coffee will be. (E.g, P100 owners are also making awesome coffee with the same burrs you can find in the Nautilus.) I got the brew burrs with my Nautilus and I've been getting some great results with them.

Instead of diving into the burrs, I'll talk about the other aspects of the grinder. I'm not qualified to compare the burrs I have to any other 98mm burr set. So I'll just leave it at the new 98mm SSP brew burrs are excellent.

The visual design and finishes of the nautilus are beautiful. I got mine in the powder coated white finish, and it looks really good. There are a couple imperfections in the powder coating, but overall it's really nice. I'm really happy I went with white. All the surfaces are nice to touch. Everything is machined really well and it's apparent both by looking at it and by touching it.

The adjustment dial on the front is so so nice to turn. It feels really good, and turns so smoothly, like buttery smooth. It's effortless. In general, there's a dab more resistance as you turn finer than coarser. There is absolutely zero drift when grinding. This is to be expected with a grinder of this quality, but it's sort of surprising given how easy and smooth the dial is to turn, but there is zero movement of the grind setting as the grinder runs.

The grinder is quiet. I've been grinding on 12v from the power supply (~400rpm). Compared to my previous grinder, the quietness is night and day. To put this into practical terms, I often listen to podcasts using my iPhone's speakers when making coffee. With my previous grinder, I had to pause the podcast when grinding. With the Nautilus, there's no need.

For dosing into the grinder, I've been using Levercraft's hybrid doser/bellows. It works quite well and fits well in the hopper opening.

I've been using RDT, and I'm getting very minimal retention. Less than 0.1g. It's more likely that I encounter 1/10th of a split bean that didn't get ground, and I grind through it before my next brew, than grounds retention. I think this sometimes happens because when I RDT, parts of a broken bean can get stuck in the entrance shoot when it flies back after getting partially ground. Now that the burrs have been seasoned a bit, I'm going to see if I can skip using RDT. Regarding retention, I've never seen the amount of coffee that's ground to be more than 0.1g off from what I weighed. And it's rare for it to be 0.1g off at all. I usually get back exactly what I weighed.

The retention really is minimal. I've opened the burr chamber once to clean out, and there's practically nothing in there. It's just the usual stuff, where the cutting teeth of the burrs and the screws holding them in have some caked on grounds (like a brush isn't sufficient at disclosing it, instead I used a toothpick). But this is an unavoidable fact of grinding coffee AFAICT (for the cutting teeth at least, obviously if you have blind burrs then you don't have buildup in the screws). Opening up the burr chamber is super easy, just 4 screws.

I can see why an external power supply might bother folks. And I respect that POV. If you want an integrated power supply, this isn't the grinder for you. But it doesn't bother me at all, and bothers me even less than I anticipated. I've set it up so the power supply is out of my way, and I never give it a second thought. I've also set it up so I'm using a wireless power remote to turn on/off the grinder, and in practice, this works super well. I've hidden the remote on the side of the counter on my coffee bar, and it has worked out really well usability wise.

The grounds catch can works well. You can slide it in from any side. I'm not always perfect at sliding it in onto the tracks. Though I've gotten much much better at it. I now do it for the most part without thinking twice. I just ordered a magnetic tumbler from Grafikus on reference from Frank. Excited to try that out, it looks really nice. It's also cool that many of the EK43 accessories should just work with the Nautilus. I think having a magnetic attachment for the grounds catch can will be really nice.

★ Helpful

baldheadracing
Team HB

#17: Post by baldheadracing »

The white finish looks really nice with the polished funnel.

Great tip about the Levercraft bellows fitting; ordered. I've been trying a few different options, but I'm waiting for a chute (the catch cup with the bottom removed) before deciding. Too much air from bellows will blow coffee everywhere ...

I haven't RDT'd yet. We'll see if I change my mind come January/February :|.

Advertisement

#18: Post by saamyjoon (original poster) »

Received my magnetic tumblr from grafikus. Really happy with it. I think it's a nice upgrade over the normal catch cup.

The tumblr design is great, and works like the one that's sold with the Weber grinders. The magnets are particularly strong and really satisfying to use. Wish I could upload a video here that shows that.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#19: Post by baldheadracing »

Why did you switch from the Levercraft bellows? Mine seems to push about the right volume of air (and a lens blower fits in it if desired).

Ejquin

#20: Post by Ejquin »

Yeah, the Kafatek "Mr. Puff" fits perfectly in the top funnel of the Nautilus