Mythos 1 low RPM tips and tricks

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
boldstep

#1: Post by boldstep »

Hi guys

Just bought a used mythos 1 grinder with titanium burrs. Loving the grind consistency and flavor. As I'm new to this grinder would appreciate any tips and tricks. Some questions to spur the discussion

1- how often do folks find you need to swap out the clump buster? What is your maintenance routine?
2- What is the best method for scooping out the beans from the top of the grinder throat after you remove the hopper? I am finding that is quite annoying to do and there is a lot of waste if you don't do that.
3- What is the latest firmware release? Any benefit to updating?
4- Do folks see benefits in leaving the grinder on 24/7?
5- What beans and roasts work particularly well with the grinder? Which don't?

Thanks!
Jason

frank828

#2: Post by frank828 »

1. Don't mess with the clump buster. Don't ever jam anything up it. If anything maybe only clean from up top with the burr taken off. The less bending of the "teeth" the better. I've had my original buster in since early 2015 in a commercial environment. A light brushing with a medium sized brush is the most external cleaning i do in that area. I'm careful not to brush up into the chute.

2. Slide the hopper throat lid closed. Use the beans in the throat. Not really a great way to scoop those beans out.

3. I dunno what firmware i'm on but i have two of these grinders. One is from early 2015 and one is from last year. Haven't noticed any difference in software.

4. Mine are on 24/7 in a commercial setting. You will have issues when the temperatures change from cold to hot.

5. I only use lighter roasted modern roasts and feel it excels with these types of beans. I've never put in a dark roasted coffee in it.

Advertisement
boldstep (original poster)

#3: Post by boldstep (original poster) »

Thanks so much for the reply!

Follow up questions

#1 - what about your day to day or week to week maintenance routine outside of clump crusher?

#2 - any idea how many grams remain in throat once you close the hopper?

Also any mods you know of or recommend?

frank828

#4: Post by frank828 replying to boldstep »

1 - general surface cleaning, remove the hopper occasionally and give it a good cleaning of the old oils. Open the burr chamber up and clean with a brush. Sometimes i used a mild detergent to clean the burrs. That's about it.

2 - about 3 full double shots worth. so like 60 grams.

No mods. There are some aftermarket burrs. I have the gorilla gear burrs that have a coating on them that reduced friction. It took about half to a full second off the grinding time. There are also new burrs from SSP with more grinding teeth. I dont really know much about them though.
Also, if you're a busy shop, i'd recommend getting the larger clear hopper.

CrabRangoon

#5: Post by CrabRangoon »

I've used a Mythos daily at home for 2-3 years now and the Ti burrs & clump crusher are the only things I'd suggest to anyone. Yours already came with both so just enjoy it. If you're using it at home and don't like the hopper, remove it & tape down the weight switch. You can use an Aeropress funnel in the throat and get about 5-6 shots of beans in.
LMWDP #505

boldstep (original poster)

#6: Post by boldstep (original poster) replying to CrabRangoon »

Oh I love that suggestion about the hopper! Thanks. That's a great idea. Any aftermarket solutions for the hopper?

CrabRangoon

#7: Post by CrabRangoon »

I've never seen an aftermarket option before, but I've always found my hopper sufficient for 2-3 days worth of drinks, which has allowed vacuum storage of beans between refills. If you're seeking to save some space and go smaller, just get a Monolith Flat :lol: that's what I've done.
LMWDP #505