My Motorized HG1

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mcnallyf

#1: Post by mcnallyf »

Hello Everyone. This is my first post. I have been lurking here for many years. I love espresso and the challenge of making it. Every morning I can't wait to craft my first shot of espresso. I work for myself and have for the last 15 years right out of my house. I design and build tooling and automation. I own a complete machine shop that is in my basement, and own a seat of Solid Works 3D modeling software.

I started with espresso about 20 years ago with a Silvia and rocky grinder. After I knew I was addicted to it, about 3 years later I upgraded to a fiorenzato Bricoletta, that I plumbed in and a rebuilt Mazzer Super Jolly, and set up a little coffee bar. About 4 years after that I decided to upgrade to a S1 Vivaldi II, which I have owned for the last 13 years. I have just purchased a Kees Van Der Westin Speedster, that is slated to ship from the Netherlands on June 24th. I am 60 years old, and this is the machine I want to retire with.

I upgraded my grinder to an HG1 about 2 years ago and have not enjoyed the hand grinding like I did at first, but the results of the grind are fantastic. So, one weekend I decided to sit down at the computer with Solid Works and design a motorized add on for my HG1. One of the things that was very important to me was to have a very stout setup, but be able to return right back to the original hand grinding if I wanted to, without marking up or drilling holes in the factory parts. I have accomplished this, and it works great!! The motor I used is an oriental motor 120-volt single phase induction motor with 240 in/lbs. of torque. It spins at 62 rpm. It is this one https://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/ ... hi62f-30ra

I am going to put up some pics of the build process for you to look at.

This is the Solid Works Model I created and built from

This is the motor mount still in the milling machine

This is the finished motor mount

This is the stock for the Clamps that hold the motor mount plate to the HG1 so no machining of the HG1 needs to be done.

These are the finished Clamps.

This is all the finished machined parts.

These are all the parts after black hardcoat

This is all I am using from the original hand grinder.

This shows the new base and motor mount.

Here's a rear view. I mounted the motor capacitor under the motor mount.

This shows the motor mounted to the grinder. I ordered a stainless-steel guard, but I used it temporarily with the switch like this.

I used a lovejoy coupling with a 15mm keyed hole in the grinder shaft end, and a 22mm keyed hole in the motor end to match the motor that I ordered at mcmaster carr

At last, the guard came in and I mounted it on the grinder.

Here it is at my little coffee bar.

★ Helpful

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by njtnjt »

Hi Francis,

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a solid setup. I keep contemplating motorizing mine. Turning the flywheel gets old after a few years of use. Especially on those light roasts.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

Advertisement
Ferrariandcoffee

#3: Post by Ferrariandcoffee »

Do you know if they sell similar but 2x smaller motors like that?

Is this a DC motor?

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by TenLayers »

You're opening up with bang on first post. Well done on the machining and the thought processes.

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

mcnallyf wrote: I have just purchased a Kees Van Der Westin Speedster, that is slated to ship from the Netherlands on June 24th. I am 60 years old, and this is the machine I want to retire with.
Congratulations on your impressive, not to mention ambitious project, pending retirement and KvdW Speedster. Is it the Idro-Matic?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Eastsideloco

#6: Post by Eastsideloco »

Welcome! Very cool. Congratulations on your completed project and new espresso machine.

mcnallyf (original poster)

#7: Post by mcnallyf (original poster) »

Ferrariandcoffee wrote:Do you know if they sell similar but 2x smaller motors like that?

Is this a DC motor?
They do sell smaller D.C. motors, but none of them had enough torque.

This is a 120 volt AC induction motor. It has 240 in/lbs of torque. I did not know what the minimum torque would need to be, so I sized it so that I knew it would work without stalling. I drink a lot of light roasts and I know from hand cranking it I have stalled myself out several times. I tried a windshield motor out a while back and that had about 110 in/lbs of torque, and that stalled.

Advertisement
mcnallyf (original poster)

#8: Post by mcnallyf (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Congratulations on your impressive, not to mention ambitious project, pending retirement and KvdW Speedster. Is it the Idro-Matic?
Yes it has the Idro-Matic preinfusion chamber installed on it.

Ferrariandcoffee

#9: Post by Ferrariandcoffee »

Btw, do you think there is much or any bend in the main shaft since there is no bottom support of the inner burr?

I was thinking of making a bearing support plate that would be screwed on using the 3 putter burr screws ... as I have a feeling that would help alignment

redbone

#10: Post by redbone »

Nicely executed project and well thought out allowing for backward compatibility. As a personal preference I prefer the look of a matching black case and large more flush black rocker switch as seen on K30. Other option could include a variable speed controller. Although wonder how many users with variable speed change speed and how often once set to their ideal.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549