My experience with the Mahlkonig E65S vs. the K30 Vario - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
drH

#41: Post by drH »

Hi all.. this looks like a great grinder. Would the portafilter holder work with 49mm and 54mm portafilters ( Cremina and Maximatic)?

Peter_SVK

#42: Post by Peter_SVK »

I just know it works fine with DC 54mm PF.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by mgwolf »

Could anyone comment on the E65's suitability for single dosing?

Peter_SVK

#44: Post by Peter_SVK »

Hmmm ... if the retention of ca. 6g is not an issue for you ... :wink:

Gig103

#45: Post by Gig103 »

mgwolf wrote:Could anyone comment on the E65's suitability for single dosing?
Not only is the retention 4-6g as Peter mentioned, I find that as my hopper empties the grind setting has to change to account for the feed speed being different. I would imagine this impacts single dosing as well, worst case being with inconsistent grinding?

Peter_SVK

#46: Post by Peter_SVK »

That's right, but I'm pretty sure you should be able to adjust the grinding accordingly for SD (i.e. without mass of the beans in the hopper), which means to grind finer. However I've never tried that moving to true SD grinder recently. Also some "stopple" can be used in the neck to prevent the beans from popcorning.

Marshall (original poster)

#47: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

mgwolf wrote:Could anyone comment on the E65's suitability for single dosing?
It's not designed for single dosing. You'll get popcorning and an uneven grind. I always keep at least 3-4 double doses in the hopper, sometimes more. The timer produces acceptably accurate doses (for me), and espresso does not degrade to my palate after a day in the hopper.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Aeroman

#48: Post by Aeroman »

Hi there, would it be possible to purchase from you a short metal hopper and 200 gr weight for E65S? I got the Gbw recently, but I want to replace the hopper. Thank you

Marshall (original poster)

#49: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

If you're asking me, I'm not a dealer. I would ask Mahlkohig USA or one of their retailers.
Marshall
Los Angeles