My experience with the Mahlkonig E65S vs. the K30 Vario - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
myke2241

#21: Post by myke2241 »

JeffryMacpherson wrote:e65s short hopper next to the linea mini for reference image
Looks nice. May i ask what your exact cabinet hieght is?

Peter_SVK

#22: Post by Peter_SVK »

I own mine almost a year.

Few extras to Marshall review:
- grinding time is adjustable in preset increments, increment can be adjusted from 0.01 - 1.00s in the menu (default is 0.05s);
- there are available 3 user defined time periods + 1 for continuos grinding (while button is pressed). User can also choose corresponding icon for each time period (single spout, double spout, bottomless PF icons are available + continouos one);
- many other usefull programmable features, like max. runtime limit (for safety), time for resume grinding from pause/interruption, etc.
- grinding speed for EU 50Hz mains is 18g of coffee in 3.6 - 3.8s depending on grinder dial. For US 60 Hz mains it should be even faster.

That time the grinder was not available with small hopper, I designed one according to my needs (weight use, SD-like).

One of few negatives is the retention, not that big for this type of grinder, but could be lowered by design - I did a small upgrade, described already at Mahlkonig E65S inferior to Mazzer Super Jolly SSP?

The other negative is stalling the motor from time to time for light roasted coffee (motor doesn't start), but to be honest, I use the grinder with the weight and SD-like hopper, not with the original one. I reduced the length of the weight to reduce the mass down from 280g to ca. 200g and it looks better now (the picture of the weight above is the old one before mass reduction).

Despite of minor negatives I'm happy with the grinder so far. Fresh news: At Host in Milan this month Mahlkonig introduced E65S GbW (Grind by Weight) version, so I'm looking forward for production model (March 2020) ... :D

Gig103

#23: Post by Gig103 »

JeffryMacpherson wrote:e65s short hopper next to the linea mini for reference image
My wife likes the white machines. Might be my avenue to this matching setup :)

But I am wondering if I should try for a Monolith Flat instead. I don't tend to change beans except between bags, so I might be fine with the hopper. Anyone in here who has used both?

pdube1

#24: Post by pdube1 »

Hello Guys,

I'm a new owner of a E65S and I'm a bit concerned about the mess it produces while grinding. I actually upgraded from a Mazzer Mini-E to E65S. One of the reason for the upgrade, along with speed and noise level, was to be able to grind without funnel in the basket without any mess (as seen on all video on instagram with E65S!!).

I have to admit that for now, I'm a bit disapointed. At about 5/8th of the grind, static seems to develop and sprays grinds on the right side over the counter and stick on the portafilter holder. Yes, the silicon flap is in place, this flap should act as a clump crusher and anti-static device right?

Maybe it's the bean I use, freshly home roasted bean (medium roast) or and maybe the reason for static is the environment, it's winter here and the air is dryer, which may cause some more static to develop compared to summer time when air is more humid.

I have to admit though, I can really feel the difference in taste compared to the Mazzer Mini (which even had upgraded SSP burrs). My espressos are also much more creamy and no WTD required anymore, which is a big plus. No need to explain my guess why I do have to stirr grounded coffee anymore. :D

Peter_SVK

#25: Post by Peter_SVK »

Never have had any static issues, never any mess around, no funnel needed here. Also winter, 45% rel. humidity, light roasted coffee (Gardelli). :)

Marshall (original poster)

#26: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

Yes, it's most likely cold-climate dry air. Not a problem here in Los Angeles. I suggest you contact Mahlkonig for suggestions.
Marshall
Los Angeles

pdube1

#27: Post by pdube1 »

I can manage the static by stopping the grinding twice and tap the PF a bit, so it's not that bad... Humidity is at its peak low here (33%), I'll give it a chance and see how it goes with more "normal" air humidity level.

Peter_SVK

#28: Post by Peter_SVK »

Do you grind with the beans in the hopper, or single dosing? If the latter, try to spray the coffee with the water before grinding, or do so just out of curiosity. If there will be no mess and static, air humidity problem is confirmed.

pdube1

#29: Post by pdube1 »

Peter_SVK wrote:try to spray the coffee with the water before grinding
I grind with bean in hopper, Yes, I'll try single dosing with water next time. I'll also try shooting some steam near the grinder and see if it make a difference.

pdube1

#30: Post by pdube1 »

I just tried with some different beans that I bought at a local coffee shop, and it made a huge difference in the grind!! Not sure what's that different from the beans that I have roasted, but with these beans, all the ground coffee go directly in the portafilter, no mess!

For the same grind time (4.1 sec), the output is about 16gr with my home roasted beans, and 21.5gr. with the roasted beans I bought at the coffee shop. That is a big difference!! Do you guys think the roasting level is the only factor? I also had to adjust the grinding size from 2.2 to 1.6, much finer.