My experience with the Mahlkonig E65S vs. the K30 Vario - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
PeterRSK

#11: Post by PeterRSK » Jul 03, 2019, 4:59 pm

I am also interested in upgrading to this grinder.

True is that only very recently I upgraded my Mazzer Mini Electronic Type A with SSP burrs. As a home barista only, there is no way for me to do proper evaluation of it in less than 3-6 months. This upgrade is supposed to bring it more to the quality of K30, but I've never owned one, so couldn't tell.

Although I love my Mazzer, I am impressed by Mahlkonig E65S features that can be objectively observed. So I am still playing with idea of upgrading. Taste in cup, being subjective, is completely different story. Not much information I can find in this area - comparisons to K30, PEAK, EK43, other grinders. No scientific observations like particle distribution tests either (which would be great if some people have time to do as there is free software to do them).

Marshall, thank you so far for all the notes on this grinder. It would be great if you keep us updated with your experience, especially as previous K30 owner.

lagoon

#12: Post by lagoon » Jul 03, 2019, 8:41 pm

Thanks for a very practical review of the machine Marshall.

Out of interest, what grinding time are you using for a double?

Marshall

#13: Post by Marshall » replying to lagoon » Jul 03, 2019, 9:40 pm

Two 2.10 second grinds (+/- 0.2 seconds).
Marshall
Los Angeles

lagoon

#14: Post by lagoon » Jul 03, 2019, 11:45 pm

That's extremely quick. It must involve some serious rpms from 65mm burrs.

Here in Australia, the E65S is actually a few hundred bucks cheaper than the K30 Vario, so it appears to be a clear winner based on your review.

jpsm

#15: Post by jpsm » Jul 11, 2019, 10:57 pm

Thank you for this awesome review. Will be getting mine next week. Cant wait! :P

lagoon

#16: Post by lagoon » Jul 12, 2019, 12:00 am

Is this machine identical to the Anfim Pratica? They look the same and the specs all line up.

If so, is Anfim or Mahlkoenig the OEM?

sirknighting

#17: Post by sirknighting » replying to lagoon » Jul 12, 2019, 12:14 am

Anfim, Mahlkonig, and Ditting are all under a single group, known as the Hemro group.

lagoon

#18: Post by lagoon » Jul 12, 2019, 12:46 am

Thanks, I knew about MK and Ditting, but wasn't aware that Anfim was in the family too.

So given it appears to be the same machine, just go for whichever brand is better priced I guess?

JeffryMacpherson

#19: Post by JeffryMacpherson » Aug 23, 2019, 9:20 pm

e65s short hopper next to the linea mini for reference Image

BaristaBoy E61

#20: Post by BaristaBoy E61 » Aug 23, 2019, 11:17 pm

Jeffrnymacpherson wrote:e65s short hopper next to the linea mini for reference <image>
That's a gorgeous setup - Love the E65S Short Hopper!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"