Motorized Mahlgut MG-1?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
randyh

#1: Post by randyh »

So I recently acquired RyanP's MG-1. Beautiful grinder, grinds, pours, low retention with RDT, very happy with it. The only negative I've found is that (surprisingly) I noticed it requires more power to turn than my Pharos. I would have thought it to be the same, or even easier given that it is locked down by the suction cups. The burr set appears to be very aggressive, ~18-20 turns for 18g depending on roast level.
So that got me thinking if anyone out there has successfully motorized their MG-1 and would be willing to share blueprints. I don't want to just simply use a drill, I'd prefer a purpose built motor in a nice-ish looking casing with on/off switch, similar to what several members have done with the HG-1.
I couldn't find anything on this, but if anyone can point me to something already posted I'll be glad to delete this thread.

randyh (original poster)

#2: Post by randyh (original poster) »

I'd also welcome tips on how to motorize a manual grinder in general, ie which motor to buy, how to connect a wall plug to it, how to connect it to the grinder etc. Being not tech savvy I have no idea about any of these things. Thanks!

truemagellen

#3: Post by truemagellen »

I would like to start seeing Vitamix systems for grinders. Lots of people have these machines and they are powerful and speed controllable.

chappcc

#4: Post by chappcc »

randyh wrote:I'd also welcome tips on how to motorize a manual grinder in general, ie which motor to buy, how to connect a wall plug to it, how to connect it to the grinder etc. Being not tech savvy I have no idea about any of these things. Thanks!
Here is an example of how I motorized a Pharos. It is a bit industrial but gets the job done.
Pharos 2.0 Update!

spressomon

#5: Post by spressomon »

Not the same as motorized, however I fabricated a mounting & plate system that uses an Able 2 stiction mat and it makes hand grinding even light roasts a non-arm wrestling match with my MG-1 ;). And roast levels south of medium are mostly a one-hand affair.
No Espresso = Depresso