Motorized HG-1 with various speed - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by FotonDrv »

Yes, I still do but nowhere near as much. After pouring into the basket I need to shakle/level it out.

The bump in the bottom creates a bit of stirring action when the grounds roll over it. I might make it more pronounced by making the base thinner. I still use a 1/2" x 1/2" magnet.

The large bean loading funnel stops 99.5% of popcorning and nothing needs to be lifted ormoved, just pour the beans in before orduring motor operation. I can post photos of the underside of the loading funnel showing the grinding chamber if you wish.

pour the grounds into this:

That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

wug2grinder (original poster)

#52: Post by wug2grinder (original poster) »

Very inspiring, really get some new ideas in mind to play with this kind of design.

We use magnet to make the cover to prevent popcorning when grind at high speed.

This will be included in the mod unit as it can be usefulwhen you grinding over 70rpm.

#53: Post by wug2grinder (original poster) »

ncrc51 wrote:Great photos and information. Really well thought out and executed design. Again, put me on the list for shipping to U.S. and thanks for the post.
Thank you and all the information you are looking for, including the dimension, power and grinding speed, can be found in the following page.

http://wug2grinder.boutir.com

Bunkmil

#54: Post by Bunkmil »

So far did you noticed a big difference in the cup using various grinding speed?

#55: Post by wug2grinder (original poster) »

At low rpm, I wont need any RDT or WDT it still give a very even and stable flow, giving more complex flavour in cup.

Actually up to 80rpm, I won't see a big difference and with WDT it give no channeling and stable flow for medium roasted beans. My sensory is not very good but grinding at 40 or 50rpm for my daily use beans give me the nutty and chocolate tones in both my espresso and milk coffee consistently, while low rpm these flavors are stronger in my case.

By naked eyes it seems particle size is more even at low rpm, no any data support, just by my naked eyes....

#56: Post by wug2grinder (original poster) »

An update about the mod, I have used a more powerful motor, at 200w, to provide a wider range of speed for grinding, so from the video you can see it can be adjusted from 12rpm to 140rpm.

Also a few changes of wiring to make the installation much more easier and more tidy.

Bunkmil

#57: Post by Bunkmil »

wug2grinder wrote:An update about the mod, I have used a more powerful motor, at 200w, to provide a wider range of speed for grinding, so from the video you can see it can be adjusted from 12rpm to 140rpm.

Also a few changes of wiring to make the installation much more easier and more tidy.
Is the total heigh still below 46cm with the new changes ?

Sorry to ask again but it's kind of important for my cabinet clearance...

#58: Post by wug2grinder (original poster) replying to Bunkmil »

No worries, I always keep it in mind and everything will fit your cabinet. Same height as the original one.

Bunkmil

#59: Post by Bunkmil replying to wug2grinder »

Great! And is the motor ok with grinding light roasted hard beans at the lowest rpm setting ? Or would you recommend using a higher rpm setting for this type of bean (in the espresso range of course) ?

#60: Post by wug2grinder (original poster) replying to Bunkmil »

I will post more videos for light roasted beans later after finish assembling machines. At lowest rpm, around 15rpm, it is not a problem even I use light roasted beans as the maximum torque the motor can provide will be 14Nm, at any rpm from 15 to 140rpm. But please be reminded that a noticable heat in those ground powder when I use speed higher than 100rpm. Therefore I mainly keep using the range from 40 to 80rpm for my morning coffee.