Motorized HG-1 with various speed - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
wug2grinder (original poster)

#11: Post by wug2grinder (original poster) »

deed wrote:roughly what was the material cost for this?
Cost depends on the quantities we made everytime, most expensive part is the motor which costs around 130usd.

Just check the pricing of Helor Stance motor upgrade option, assuming they mark up double or triple from their cost, you can expect conversion cost won't be that cheap.

Bunkmil

#12: Post by Bunkmil »

Awesome mod! If it's not too noisy, easy to install and available in 120V I would definitely buy one of those kits!

Advertisement

#13: Post by wug2grinder (original poster) »

Bunkmil wrote:120V
Noisiness depends on speed and from 15 to 100rpm it is not that loud. Thank you for your question and I can try to measure it this week at different speeds.

This is designed to fit both 120/240v (110/220v) so we use it at 220v in hong Kong and switched to 110v for those using them in Taiwan.

#14: Post by wug2grinder (original poster) »

Bunkmil wrote:Awesome mod! If it's not too noisy, easy to install and available in 120V I would definitely buy one of those kits!
Just did a quick measurement, n=3

Background noise at my home = 49dB
Rotating at 80rpm without loading = 56dB
Rotating at 80rpm with loading = 72dB

All measured by placing my phone with noise measurements app at the same level with the gearbox of hg-1 and is 10cm away from the gearbox. Mostly the sound is due to grinding of beans, which I believe will be quite similar no matter hand grinding or grinding at different speed.

Bunkmil

#15: Post by Bunkmil »

Thanks for the little noise test!

Now I want to see it in action :D .

I guess the answer is yes but is the mod reversible?

Is it compatible with all the HG-1 versions?

How easy it is to install the motor from a stock grinder?

When do you plan to offer these kits?

Thanks!

#16: Post by wug2grinder (original poster) replying to Bunkmil »

A little video I made previously is available in the below link. Please let me know if it violates the rule of HB and I will remove it asap.

Totally reversible as no any drilling is needed so it wont affect the original outlook as well. Only the very early version (I guess is the first generation) with the knob at the back, see the attached photo, is not compatible. Other 2014 or 2016 version will be fine.

We are now working on the installation video so later you can see it is not difficult to do the modification and it can be done in 30-45mins. Also in the video you can see the modification is reversible.

We are making two 220v for friends in Hong Kong and two 110v for people in Taiwan in September. Next batch will be making 5-6 units, probably in October.

Bunkmil

#17: Post by Bunkmil »

Oh I never realized that the adjustment mechanism has changed over the years. Mine is exactly like the one on the picture you posted so unfortunately it will not be compatible :(

Advertisement

#18: Post by wug2grinder (original poster) replying to Bunkmil »

Oh, that's sad. But good to hear that you have been using hg-1 for many years and seems like you still love it very much. Now all these hg-1 are pre-aligned so no more knob at the back.

Anyway, thank you for your interest!

ncrc51

#19: Post by ncrc51 »

wug2grinder wrote:Cost depends on the quantities we made everytime, most expensive part is the motor which costs around 130usd.

Just check the pricing of Helor Stance motor upgrade option, assuming they mark up double or triple from their cost, you can expect conversion cost won't be that cheap.
This is a very interesting mod for the HG-1. By far the most professional and complete motor unit I've seen for the HG-1. I'm confused by your statement about pricing. Can you provide additional pricing information for 110 volt units for the US market?

Thanks.

HB
Admin

#20: Post by HB »

wug2grinder wrote:Please let me know if it violates the rule of HB and I will remove it asap.
See Vendor participation in the forums. Given the limited and highly specialized nature of this mod and the interest of the membership, we'll allow an exception. :D
Dan Kehn