MonolithC break in with hopper

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Compass Coffee

#1: Post by Compass Coffee »

Others asked in another thread about possible hoppers: Mazzer hopper perfect fit. Pic rigged for burr break in grinding directly into shop vac. Four hoppers done so far, letting it cool a spell before a couple more.
Mike McGinness

ds

#2: Post by ds »

Wow Mike you are crazy :lol: Talk about stress test!!!

Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

Compass Coffee wrote:Others asked in another thread about possible hoppers: Mazzer hopper perfect fit. Pic rigged for burr break in grinding directly into shop vac. Four hoppers done so far, letting it cool a spell before a couple more.
<image>
Don't suck your magnetic chute down the shop vac! And remember to bag up the grinds for wholesale delivery to local big box store!

:twisted:
LMWDP #198

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#4: Post by mivanitsky »

This should be cross-posted in the Craziest #^%€#€#¥ thread, except cross-posting is forbidden :)

I plan to do the same thing, unless Denis voids your warranty.

(which he won't)

I am jealous that you have yours now! My conical Will be built next week. It will have a few customizations, too.

SAB

#5: Post by SAB »

Compass Coffee wrote:Others asked in another thread about possible hoppers: Mazzer hopper perfect fit. Pic rigged for burr break in grinding directly into shop vac. Four hoppers done so far, letting it cool a spell before a couple more.
<image>
Mike, are you going to do something similar when your eg-1 arrives? If your plan is "yes", would you mind pulling a couple of shots before and after seasoning, to give us a sense of the difference?

Did you happen to pull any shots with your monolith before you "Toy-Storied" the poor thing? :D

Compass Coffee (original poster)

#6: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

Chert wrote:Don't suck your magnetic chute down the shop vac! And remember to bag up the grinds for wholesale delivery to local big box store!

:twisted:
Nope but I did suck the burr white center cap up vac'ing after I finished the 5 hoppers of beans and final flush of a couple double shots worth of minute rice! Easily fished out before dumping the grinds in the blackberry field next to the Roastery. It's been my official chaff and burr seasoning dump grounds for eight years. :D
Mike McGinness

Sideshow

#7: Post by Sideshow »

SAB wrote:Mike, are you going to do something similar when your eg-1 arrives? If your plan is "yes", would you mind pulling a couple of shots before and after seasoning, to give us a sense of the difference?
I second :)

#8: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

ds wrote:Wow Mike you are crazy :lol: Talk about stress test!!!
Not really. SOP I (and most serious professionals) use virtually any new grinder or when replacing burrs. I promise you after 5 hoppers over the space of a couple hours the Monolith was a bit warm sure but cooler than an M7D on a busy morning our Downtown Coffeehouse. Which is also why our main DT grinder is now a Clima Pro.

Was wondering how to adjust the fork (without bothering to read the manual of course) laid it on it's back to look at bottom of fork and noticed the bottom of grinder.

How perfectly Geeky! See through smoked acrylic bottom cover. Don't recall anyone mentioning this fun little touch yet.

Other nice touches Dennis includes 3 different hex wrenches (I don't need them but some might) plus very nice WDT tool and RDT sprayer. Personally I've never needed or used WDT since first nekkid attempt with Rocky/Silvia and never and I mean never will use WDT or RDT. First pull on the Slayer just the usual hand side tapping of PF to level then tamp and pull no problem. Yes testing a minute or so later maybe 0.1g comes out of Monolith because not doing RDT, my book so what. I already know I'm going to love the work flow single dosing with the Monolith compared to single dosing the M7D. Oh and beautifully simple and easy to use grind adjustment.

Overall I'll give it a 10 out of 10, EXCELLENT design and workmanship Denis. Quite possibly/probably the perfect home (conical) espresso grinder for single dosing. I do expect when I receive the Flat in a couple weeks I'll feel the same about it too.

Though I do feel slighted! Others mentioned Denis including some of the coffee he used to dial in their grinder for them to use. I didn't get squat. Not a single bean. :cry: Of course it could be because he dialed my Monolith in with Delirium and he figured I probably had plenty laying around. Which of course is true! :lol:
Mike McGinness

#9: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

After raising the PF fork and testing dosing directly into PF without dosing funnel I recalled previous discussions of why it's used. And so of course lowered the PF fork back down but did make about 1/8" higher than originally placed so wouldn't be considered wasting my time. :wink:

Oh and while glancing at the pdf manual for PF fork adjustment I noticed the Monolith does have thermal protection like a quality built grinder should so no worries if you season going back to back to back hoppers until Monolith automatically says enough is enough and shuts down to cool motor. No danger of causing damage.

One of these days I may actually read the whole manual. But probably only if I print it and put it in the reading/thrown room. :lol:
Mike McGinness

CoffeeBar

#10: Post by CoffeeBar »

Congratulations to Mike McGinness on your New grinder :)