Monolith seasoning regimen

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Phaedrus

#1: Post by Phaedrus »

As many of us get closer to monolith delivery day (June/July for the current batch I believe), can some of the current monolith owners share how they accelerated the seasoning process? I know I've seen posts here and there about not running the motor too long, the pounds of beans needed for best performance, etc. It would probably be handy to have all this information in a single thread. Other things I was thinking of:
Is there a specific cheap bean that works well for seasoning?
Are there differences in how you should season the flat vs. conical? TiN vs regular?
Should you season at all?
What are the signs to look for to know when you've seasoned enough?

Balthazar_B

#2: Post by Balthazar_B »

FWIW, I didn't do anything special to accelerate break-in of my M-Con. I had about a half pound of old beans I ran through it, more to understand how changes in the grind settings showed up in the feel of the grounds than to season the burrs (remember that Denis runs coffee through to test alignment, etc.). The quality of the grind has always been exemplary, and the only thing I (and others) have noticed is that the setting for a particular result drifts downward over the first few weeks as things settle in (I assume). But I don't think it's really necessary to speed up that process, as what's in the cup should always be flawless from day one.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Advertisement
mike guy

#3: Post by mike guy »

I wouldn't worry about it and just use it.

For me the only noticeable change from new to broken in was less clumping. I used RDT for a while to compensate and then when I thought I had about 10 lbs through it stopped and sure enough I didn't need RDT anymore. There's no real reason to force break in that I know of.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

If you live in low humidity you might still need RDT longer. I ran about 8 lbs through BUT only cause they were experimental roasts I had done and wasn't going to drink them anyway. Sopressomon recommended this to me:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I used it run the beans through. I sometimes now use it to grind into. I use it everyday to weigh doses and then put them in my mini mason jars. I use it to keep the RDT bottle in. For $4.50 pretty useful I would say.

I agree with the others, you don't have to run beans through if that's inconvenient. If you feel like you want to and don't have them, I recommend Wal Mart as a place to get cheap roasted beans.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Aguirre

#5: Post by Aguirre »

What about minute rice? That's what LWW recommend to season the HG-1. I followed their recommendation and had a seasoned grinder on day one. I believe it should be applicable to any grinder out there.

Here's the process for the HG-1:

http://hg-one.com/the-hg-one-grinder/hg ... eaking-in/

mrjag

#6: Post by mrjag »

My MonCon-TiN came calibrated at a 9 and drifted slowly to 6 after about 1.5 lbs of beans. I didn't do any seasoning other than pulling my normal 1-2 shots per day.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#7: Post by mivanitsky »

Just use it. Break-in is about 5kg, but it's great in the cup straight out of the box.

Minute Rice is not recommended by Denis, as it makes quite a bit of dust, and can jam the grinders when used in large quantities.

Advertisement
Brings

#8: Post by Brings »

I put about 3 lbs through each of my grinders to help them along, but that was with some old experimental coffee I roasted. So like the others here, just use it like normal and keep in mind that the optimal grind setting zone for your use case will change over time as the burrs break in.

Nik

#9: Post by Nik »

I have had mine two weeks and each day I have noticed a small change. I run 4-8 shots a day through it. That's about 4.5 pounds. The biggest change was about day 3. I would suggest that you just use it.

Incredible grinder!

coffeekid

#10: Post by coffeekid »

I hate to join the chorus here, but I'd also recommend foregoing a formal seasoning regimen. My monolith flat was reasonably easy to dial in, but for most of us (myself among them) the first week or so is experimentation time for how a new grinder and new particle distribution affects brew parameters. In other words, by the time you have your monolith reasonably dialed in, you will likely have ground enough to have accomplished whatever (very) minor seasoning might be necessary.

And yes, it truly is a phenomenal grinder.