Monolith seasoning regimen - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
*sigh*

#11: Post by *sigh* »

Yeah, I didn't do anything special with mine either. I ran about a 1lbs of coffee through it at a coarse grind for toddy, but then I just jumped into using it. It's a fantastic grinder out of the box.

If you have some old stale coffee you aren't going to drink, you might as well run it through. But I wouldn't go out of your way to get coffee for seasoning.

Phaedrus (original poster)

#12: Post by Phaedrus (original poster) »

I guess it's pretty definitive then: Don't do anything special, season as you go.

Thank you everyone for responding!

nuketopia

#13: Post by nuketopia »

I'm in the just use it camp.

Or if you really want to, go visit a local coffee roaster and ask for some stale beans to break in your grinder. They'll just give them to you most of the time.

BillBurrGrinder

#14: Post by BillBurrGrinder »

What about dosing method? Motor on or off when filling with beans? I always put beans in a grinder or hopper before turning on the motor but I've seen videos where someone turns on the Monolith, then throws the beans in while it's running.

Bret

#15: Post by Bret replying to BillBurrGrinder »

The instructions that came with the Flat say to load the beans and then start the grinder. I missed that, and have been turning it on just prior to dumping the beans in. It seems to be working well. So unless there is a reason why it must be the other way, seems like either is workable.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#16: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Motor on when loading might be fine with the metal funnel cap that comes with it, but if you bought a wood cap and haven't had your coffee in the am, I would hate to consider what happens with the motor on and a mishap.

For those ordering a Monolith Flat, I was confused but the top portion shown on the website is a both a cap and funnel. With that there is less risk of fingers in the chamber. Some people like to cover the hole with cylinders and other objects. Others buy a wood cap. We bought a dark wood cap to somewhat match our espresso machine and tend to use the wood cap. With that, the burrs are way more exposed and I don't turn the machine on without the cap in place. Also some sort of cap is needed or beans will jump out.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

*sigh*

#17: Post by *sigh* »

BillBurrGrinder wrote:What about dosing method? Motor on or off when filling with beans? I always put beans in a grinder or hopper before turning on the motor but I've seen videos where someone turns on the Monolith, then throws the beans in while it's running.
I don't think it really matters, I used to use the wood cap so I had to load beans first. But I used the LW Commercial Bean cellars now so its easier to use the safety cap and just dump the beans in while it's running.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#18: Post by Peppersass »

Is anyone upgrading their Flat to the new SSP burrs planning on seasoning? I think I read somewhere that SSP burrs are pre-seasoned, but not sure about that.

michael

#19: Post by michael »

Put around 1 pound of coffee through, then started using the grinder, so hadn't thought I would season the new burrs. In retrospect, it took a while, I guess mostly because Im generally a weekend user on the flat. Maybe I'll put 1 pound through the new burrs. From the store:

These burrs also need very little seasoning and are ready to go out of box. 8)