Monolith Max - Page 21

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pcrussell50

#201: Post by pcrussell50 »

blondica73 wrote:As I mentioned in a different post, and many found out, the EPHQ 14 grams basket works best with the MAX. I tried VST and IMS and they start nice then I get gushers. I pack 18g in the EPHQ 14g basket and I can pull some really nice shots. Granted that I use lightly roasted coffee and it is hard to pull good shots with that kind of roast.
Been using it and one like it for years. It all changed for me when I put my machine into flow profiling configuration. All of a sudden I didn't need that finicky, fast flowing characteristic of VST baskets to avoid chokers when grinding fine, when I could pre infuse as long as I needed, to soften the puck and avoid chokers that way. My VSTs are sitting unused in the back of my drawer, but for one very specific thing I use them for.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mr2andy

#202: Post by mr2andy »

blondica73 wrote:As I mentioned in a different post, and many found out, the EPHQ 14 grams basket works best with the MAX. I tried VST and IMS and they start nice then I get gushers. I pack 18g in the EPHQ 14g basket and I can pull some really nice shots. Granted that I use lightly roasted coffee and it is hard to pull good shots with that kind of roast.
All EPHQ14 basket does is the narrow bottom which makes the puck thicker with the same dose compare to the regular basket. The thicker puck is definitely better in preventing channeling. Max produce very even ground (comparing to other grinder) which produce less "fine" ground hence (I think) required a thicker puck to create more back pressure.

djcuvcuv

#203: Post by djcuvcuv »

I hope this question finds you all well and safe during these difficult times. I've failed twice now to place an order for the monolith max, and my question is: how the heck can one order one of these things?

This most recent time i attempted to place the order (technically pre-order), I was utterly flabbergasted to find that even after setting up all my info in advance, interacting with the site as little as possible, and refreshing the page the second the order window/time opened, yet by the time the roughly 20 seconds passed and I had the item in my cart and was in the checkout page and clicked place order, the item was already out of stock!

Any input or advice on how I can successfully buy one in the next round of pre-orders would be very very much appreciated! Thanks all!
-Chris
Best wishes,
Chris

Haskens

#204: Post by Haskens »

Hi Chris,

Setup Apple Pay or google pay. A buddy of mine and I both decided to place an order in February this year and we both managed to get Maxes. You'll see a lot said about latency for people outside the US or far from Seattle, but we're both in Canada and we got pretty early order numbers too. Otherwise looks like you're doing everything else right.

Cheers

djcuvcuv

#205: Post by djcuvcuv » replying to Haskens »

Ah wow cool, somehow I think PayPal was just a few too many clicks. I'll have Apple/Google pay set up for next time. Thanks a lot for the info here! Much appreciated!

-Chris
Best wishes,
Chris

dak

#206: Post by dak »

Haskens wrote:Hi Chris,

Setup Apple Pay or google pay. A buddy of mine and I both decided to place an order in February this year and we both managed to get Maxes. You'll see a lot said about latency for people outside the US or far from Seattle, but we're both in Canada and we got pretty early order numbers too. Otherwise looks like you're doing everything else right.

Cheers
+1 for ApplePay. I scored a MAX in the July pre-order on my first try and given how quickly I completed the order (15-20") and that they were sold out when I clicked on the MAX pre-order link after completing the purchase (30-40"), I know there was no other way I could have made it in time.

djcuvcuv

#207: Post by djcuvcuv » replying to dak »

This is very helpful to hear from everyone about this. Strangely though, the kafatek website doesn't seem to support ApplePay so far as I can tell. When I put some arbitrary item in my cart today to test a dry run (lol) i don't see any indication of ApplePay in the drop-down menu. (see attached screenshot).

Maybe they only enable this feature when they open the monolith pre-order items on the store website?

I know it seems pedantic of me to test this stuff and ask all these questions, but I'll be a bit dumbfounded if I fail to purchase one of these things for the 3rd time in a row!

Best,
Chris

Best wishes,
Chris

hercdeisel
Supporter ♡

#208: Post by hercdeisel »

djcuvcuv wrote:Strangely though, the kafatek website doesn't seem to support ApplePay so far as I can tell.
Based on the image you shared, it looks like you're trying the wrong 'store'. The kafatek complex of websites is a bit confusing.

There's the store you've been playing around with which only actually sells the tools etc. that you tried loading into your cart. Even though there are old entries there that look like pre-orders, those are not the actual preorder links. That store's website is www.kafatek.com/store or something like that.

The website for preorders of grinders, however is store.kafatek.com. That's the website that takes ApplePay because it's run through Shopify instead of the other Kafatek payment processing tools.

You actually need a separate account for the store.kafatek.com site as well.

On top of your kafatek.com and store.kafatek.com accounts, forum.kafatek.com uses yet a third account if you want to participate in the forums!

djcuvcuv

#209: Post by djcuvcuv » replying to hercdeisel »

Wow ok, this clears that up. Thanks a lot, Matt. I think so long as I have Safari browser all set up with Apple Pay I should be good when the time comes and the gates have opened. Thanks for your help!
Best wishes,
Chris