Monolith MAX for filter- ease of use?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

Any MAX owners, please chime in. How do you like using your MAX for filter prep? Workflow and ergonomics? Do you limit your batch size to what fits in the upper loading section or gently pour beans into the throat of the grinder? The EK, although messy, does a decent enough job with a spring clamp holding a receptacle. I imagine in time Denis will even come up with a more elegant solution for folks who want to utilize a well aligned flat for drip and espresso, meaning some sort of attachment or holder of sorts. But I'm curious of folks opinions with first hand experience.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#2: Post by mivanitsky »

The upper hopper will hold way more than 70g, which is maximum I use for Ratio Right brew. I think Denis said between 90-100. I can grind straight into the Kone, which I hold with my left hand on the PF forks. I can grind for espresso immediately thereafter with a twist!

Advertisement
Bob_M

#3: Post by Bob_M »

Tom I had an Ek and a prototype max for a while and now have a production version of Max. I can get 70 grams in Max and if u needed more I know a canning funnel in hopper works for much more than you would ever need. Moreover as u pointed out it is not messy like and EK43 and I would add that the Max fits under the counter !

bytheway

#4: Post by bytheway replying to Bob_M »

Hi Bob, is a different RPM more to your liking for filter vs espresso? Also do you prefer the brews you can get out of the Max or EK43 for filter?

Finally, with the TiN burrs in the Max, is it designed to never touch the burrs with a screwdriver? ie don't remove them ever? Will the tightness of the screws eventually loosen? I'm asking because I know Hansung of SSP is developing a 98mm burr aimed at filter with bimodal distribution...wondering if I use a torque wrench I could potentially switch between burrs occasionally to determine my preference....

Of course anyone else that has both an EK43 and Max or knows about the last question please chime in! Thanks for starting this thread Tom, hope I haven't sidetracked it...