Monolith Flat with SSP? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by FotonDrv »

ds wrote:I'll pick mine up end of week!

Are they grinding slower, faster or about the same as stock burrs?
Maybe a bit faster, I was so enthralled with the more quiet grind and the fluffiness that I totally spaced out on the speed. Tomorrow morning I will try to remember to time the 18g dose.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

JayBeck

#12: Post by JayBeck »

FotonDrv wrote:Maybe a bit faster, I was so enthralled with the more quiet grind and the fluffiness that I totally spaced out on the speed. Tomorrow morning I will try to remember to time the 81g dose.
How do you so an 81g dose? Multiple batches?

chris_n

#13: Post by chris_n »

i think he meant 18g dose, since that's the amount he used last time.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by FotonDrv »

JayBeck wrote:How do you so an 81g dose? Multiple batches?
Ha! Good catch, a typo, 18g. Old eyes and not reading what I type. I'll fix it, thanks.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by Peppersass »

Mine are scheduled to arrive Thursday. My plan:

1. Record grind setting where burrs barely touch.
2. Grind a shot of one of my go-to coffees with the old Mythos burrs. Record grind time.
3. Pull a shot with my usual parameters for this coffee (temp, brew ratio, flow rate.)
4. Measure extraction yield with VST refractometer and CoffeeTools.
5. Taste the coffee (already very familiar with it.)
6. Repeat 2-5 twice more to get average %EY, grind time and detailed tasting notes.
7. Remove Mythos burrs and thoroughly clean grind chamber.
8. Install SSP burrs, torque bolts to 3Nm.
9. Record grind setting where burrs barely touch. Compare with setting recorded in step #1.
10. Pull a shot with the new burrs to the same flow rate and brew ratio (record grind setting and grind time when dialed in.)
11. Measure extraction yield.
12. Taste the coffee (unfortunately, blind tasting isn't feasible with only one Flat. :( ) Take careful tasting notes.
13. Repeat 10-12 twice to get average %EY and detailed tasting notes.
14. Grind about 10 lbs of stale beans (mostly leftover seasoning greens and failed roasts during my learning curve.)
15. Repeat step #9, then repeat steps 10-12 three times, noting any changes in grind setting, %EY and/or taste.

Might be a few days before I get around to it. Need to clear the decks for a session lasting a few hours.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by FotonDrv »

I got to timing the 18g grind at setting 6. I might be longer as it came out to be 30sec.

The grind is certainly more fluffy and the noise is reduced significantly. I am getting 71db at 1', that is a 4db drop in noise from the previous Mythos burrs.

Capitol

#17: Post by Capitol »

I'm really looking forward to anyone's observations and comments about the new SSP burrs for the Flat, as it pertains to both espresso and any manual brewing technique (as I use my Flat for both). I'm on the fence as to whether to purchase these burrs, or just put my name in the hat for a Flat MAX. My Flat is only a few months old, so it doesn't have the original Mythos burrs, but Denis' second generation of burrs. Mostly everything I drink is medium to light roasted, so I'm curious for those who make the switch and have similar coffee preferences if you notice a large difference and feel it was worth the change. When I spoke to a Denis about the SSP burrs, he suggested them for me (or the Flat MAX) based on my medium to light roasted coffee preference. Again, thanks for any feedback any of you with the new SSP burrs can provide!

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#18: Post by Peppersass »

My SSP burrs arrived today! Looking forward to installing and testing when I get the time (see previous post on my plan.)

I noticed that the burrs are labelled Top and Bottom on the underside. But they look identical to me. Is there a difference I'm not seeing?

Chert

#19: Post by Chert »

Peppersass wrote:Mine are scheduled to arrive Thursday. My plan:

8. Install SSP burrs, torque bolts to 3Nm.
How could one without a torque screwdriver estimate this? Such a low amount of torque will protect the screw and burr from damage, but neither are carbon fiber. So I am curious why the low torque recommendation.
LMWDP #198

JayBeck

#20: Post by JayBeck replying to Chert »

Perhaps in addition to the obvious of 'over-tightening,' could there also be an alignment issue? The torque wrench insures all 3 bolts have the same pressure.