Monolith Flat SSP burr upgrade: installation, alignment and performance - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
AssafL

#31: Post by AssafL »

What is 1:17.5? Brew ratios are usually 1:1.5 or 1:2.5...

1:17 would be in awfully overextracted Americano land.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

Jake_G
Team HB

#32: Post by Jake_G »

AssafL wrote:What is 1:17.5? Brew ratios are usually 1:1.5 or 1:2.5...

1:17 would be in awfully overextracted Americano land.
He's replying to Dick regarding pourover...
Peppersass wrote: I also tried two of the Tanzania Tarime Town AA roasts as pourover, and they were quite good (finally, I'm able to produce roasts that work for both pourover and espresso!) Extraction yields were in the 20.5%-21.5% range for both roasts, one of which was medium and the other was more toward the light end of the spectrum, but not ultra-light.

Again, there's no way to compare these results to the Mythos burrs. Even if I could, I'm not convinced that my pourover protocol is consistent enough for comparisons. That said, I'm certainly pleased with how the burrs performed for pourover grinds. Certainly comparable to the Mythos burrs, possibly better. About all I can say with certainty is that the pourover tests did not show any decrease in quality from the Mythos burrs.

Hopefully I'll gain some insight when i do some pourover with commercial beans with which I'm familiar.
Took me a second to process those ratios, too :P
LMWDP #704

AssafL

#33: Post by AssafL »

Oh. Duh! Yeah... silly me. :oops:

Does the rule translate to espresso as well?

namelessone

#34: Post by namelessone »

Yes, sorry, I didn't really quote properly :) However as extraction goes up, you need to increase the ratio so that the strength is roughly the same. So with espresso as well I think it would be normal to do 1:2.5-1:3 shots at higher extractions.

However not all coffee necessarily seem to taste better at these yields, this might have something more to do with roast than the grinder though.

AssafL

#35: Post by AssafL replying to namelessone »

Ok - so you are trying to achieve the same strength (so same TDS). Since EY is higher you need to pull longer so as to dilute the extra EY percantage points?

But
(1) won't that get you the astringency bitterness at the end (wouldn't a better approach to keeping TDS constant be to pull the proper EY and then dilute with water - ala micro Americano)?
(2) isnt the whole idea a properly extracted RIstretto/Normale vs. a proper Longo? (the thick mouthfeel but not at all sour?)