Monolith Flat MAX - Sept-Oct '19 Production Run - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#11: Post by mivanitsky »

Production Monoliths look great in stock form. No one should feel driven to pay big money for pretty colors. They all work the same. Red/Black top choice is the easy, cheap one.

nrh

#12: Post by nrh replying to mivanitsky »

True, they all look great! Some people just want match the other equipment they have.
Nick H.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by Peppersass »

mivanitsky wrote:Production Monoliths look great in stock form. No one should feel driven to pay big money for pretty colors. They all work the same. Red/Black top choice is the easy, cheap one.
And quite dramatic.

Interesting difference between your photo and the photos of the Max on the Kafatek site: bolts at the lower edge of the top plate and they're much closer to the edge of the plate than the Flat (or your MC3, for that matter.) Can't see if there are any bolts at the top of the plate. Are they gone? One bolt in the center? Which is the production version? Why the change?

NelisB

#14: Post by NelisB replying to Peppersass »

It has 4 bolts in the laters version. My feeling was that it needs 4 with 98mm burrs and the bigger motor etc. to have it rigid. Very happy to see it appeared on later versions.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#15: Post by mivanitsky »

You are correct. I noticed play in the pressure plate alignment (audible change in sound when grinding fine) with moderate pressure on the funnel, and so did others. The bottom bolts cured the problem. The only remaining play is thread play in the funnel, which will not affect the upper burrs carrier, as it is primarily radial, and very, very minimal. The smaller grinders do not need the bottom screws. It may not matter in the cup, but Denis agreed that all possible slop should be eliminated. It was one of the many things that delayed the public release of the MAX.

brabuse430

#16: Post by brabuse430 »

I snagged one as well. I did the all black setup, but now I'm reconsidering the red, since I have a white LMLM.

Devin H (original poster)

#17: Post by Devin H (original poster) »

Just emailed Dennis and he's shipping all new monoliths with the Mr. Puff so we should expect to get one in our flat max shipments. Just thought i'd share in case anyone was considering buying one separately.

culturesub

#18: Post by culturesub »

What is mr puff?

Devin H (original poster)

#19: Post by Devin H (original poster) »

Silicone bellows. He sells them separately in the kafatek store for anyone wishing to purchase.

mammamia

#20: Post by mammamia »