Monolith Flat early impressions - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#91: Post by FotonDrv »

dumpshot wrote:I am with Ira. I have a red arrow sticker ("art tape" from Office Max) for espresso. About 180 degrees on the other side is a blue arrow for pourover. I just eyeballed the 180 degrees since everything is relative. For my purposes, I note exactly where my setting is for espresso, then turn coarser so that the blue arrow comes around to the espresso setting and adjust from there. Right now, my pourover setting is 180 degrees plus a little for pourover. Works great. No muss, no fuss. I just have to remember to turn it back to espresso setting after finishing.

Pete

<image>
Excellent way to do it Pete!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

jaredw

#92: Post by jaredw »

Nate42 wrote:You are experiencing the same thing I mentioned earlier in the thread. I always run the grind when making large adjustments from coarse to fine. Not everyone finds the need to do this, but local humidity and choice of coffee probably make a difference. All it takes is a few larger coffee particles to become trapped between the burrs to bind them up, and running the grinder is an easy way to remedy this. Denis assures me there is no problem with this.
Great to hear! Now to rig up something similar to dumpshot :)

Advertisement
Coachiain

#93: Post by Coachiain »

dumpshot wrote:I am with Ira. I have a red arrow sticker ("art tape" from Office Max) for espresso. About 180 degrees on the other side is a blue arrow for pourover. I just eyeballed the 180 degrees since everything is relative. For my purposes, I note exactly where my setting is for espresso, then turn coarser so that the blue arrow comes around to the espresso setting and adjust from there. Right now, my pourover setting is 180 degrees plus a little for pourover. Works great. No muss, no fuss. I just have to remember to turn it back to espresso setting after finishing.

Pete

<image>
My setting for pourover on MF is roughly the same as others have reported, about 180~190 degrees away from espresso.
A tad more than a full turn corser, maybe 370 degrees for the Conical.

Why have I not thought of another sticker.
Thanks for the tip Pete

namelessone

#94: Post by namelessone »

How does it compare to EK43 for pour over? I haven't quite found any grinder that is kitchen counter friendly which compares to EK43. I think Vario with Steel Burrs / Forte BG comes closest in terms of flavour, but lacks the cleanness.

Coachiain

#95: Post by Coachiain »

I asked Denis the same question, as I,too, was interested in a EK43 but could not spare the counter space.
Denis spoke to someone with both, and told me the guy could not tell a difference.
There are too many variables so I'm not sure if this is of any value.

namelessone

#96: Post by namelessone »

I reached out to him as well and Denis mentioned to me that they might be releasing burrs which are more like EK43 sometime in the future.

tohenk2

#97: Post by tohenk2 replying to namelessone »

If he ever makes one with EK43 burrs I'm in. (Getting tired of waiting for the EK43 Barista model.)

Advertisement
chrisbodnarphoto

#98: Post by chrisbodnarphoto replying to tohenk2 »

I have a feeling Denis meant a smaller unimodal-style of burrs, similar to what the EG-1 uses (which, if I'm not mistaken, was the original plan - to use the same burr style as the EG-1, but then things changed).

I imagine anything using the EK43's 98mm burrs would require quite the powerful motor (EK43 is 1.75HP!). Not that I would be against Denis coming up with such a machine, but I can only imagine the R+D (and cost - those burrs are expeeeeeeensive!) behind such a thing!

coffeekid

#99: Post by coffeekid »

tohenk2 wrote:If he ever makes one with EK43 burrs I'm in. (Getting tired of waiting for the EK43 Barista model.)
+1

spressomon

#100: Post by spressomon »

Anyone check into or know about what it would cost to have the bean "hopper" chute coated with a DLC (Diamond Like Coating)?
No Espresso = Depresso