Monolith Flat: adjusting the forks

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mathof

#1: Post by mathof »

I've just received an Acaia dosing cup in the mail but I can't figure out how to adjust the horizontal forks on my (first generation) Monolith Flat to accept its 63.5mm width. I can move the rail assembly up and down but I don't see anyway to free the forks to move inwards. Maybe they are just stuck at their maximum width and force is all that is needed, but I'm reluctant to use too much. Any suggestions?

Oops! I just found the answer. There are small Phillips screws at the back of each fork that can be loosened. They're hard to get at, but that's obviously the solution.

okmed

#2: Post by okmed »

On my first generation conical the screws are on the backside of the arms.

mathof (original poster)

#3: Post by mathof (original poster) »

Thanks, Okmed. I've sorted that out, but there's a new problem now. The ridge on the cup that is meant to slot into the forks is too wide. It measures 7.8mm vertically but the grooves in the forks are only 7.2mm high. I can balance it on the arms of the fork, but it's not as secure or satisfying to look at. Still, it does the job.

okmed

#4: Post by okmed »

This may not help since I grind directly into the basket but you might be able to modify a wood adapter similar to mine to accept your cup.

mathof (original poster)

#5: Post by mathof (original poster) replying to okmed »

Thanks for the idea. I have neither the tools nor ability to make something like your wood adapter, but I am very impressed by your ingenuity.