Monolith Conical Grinder and Freezing Coffee - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira
Team HB

#11: Post by ira »

As I recall thay also found that much of the issue with needing to change adjustments during the day had to do with temperature fluctuations of the grinder and keeping the grinder warm is a lot easier way to minimize that then trying to keep it cool.

Ira

chris_n

#12: Post by chris_n »

aecletec wrote:because it increased their inconsistency (after testing).
this is fascinating and the first i've heard of this! i wonder why that is

aecletec

#13: Post by aecletec replying to chris_n »

Yeah it was a surprise to me also but at least in Brisbane, it is a thing.
Maybe the relatively wide temperature and humidity changes during the day has something to do with it?

BaristaBob (original poster)

#14: Post by BaristaBob (original poster) »

What would be interesting to know is what happens to particle size (and size distribution) when exactly the same beans are frozen vs. heated to 125-140F? Comparison using both the MonoFlat (Flat burrs) and MonoCon (Conical burrs) would round out the study nicely.

Anyone with both grinders and a set of Kruve sieves is all set! :lol:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

BaristaBob (original poster)

#15: Post by BaristaBob (original poster) »

Interesting enough, I found an article from Business Insider about 2017 USA Barista Champion, Kyle Ramage using the process of freeze drying coffee beans to improve flavor via what he says is more uniform particle size distribution. A two minute video is linked below, and within the article is another link to Nature Journal about the chemistry of freeze drying.

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-bar ... hip-2017-7
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

nuketopia

#16: Post by nuketopia »

aecletec wrote:Other research has shown that cooling the bean changes its grinding particle distribution. I don't know where the cutoff for this would be in terms of heating. Do you have a source for the volatiles hypothesis?
One thing I do know, however, is that quality focused cafe owners I've talked to disconnect the heating element on their Mythos because it increased their inconsistency (after testing).

Yes, I'm trying to find the video. It was a technical lecture at SCCA from about two years ago and the lecturer was involved in the design of the Mythos One Clima Pro with the Nuova Simonelli design team. They went into a great deal of detail of how they arrived at the conclusion that temperature was not affecting the burrs, but the beans themselves and that's how they come up with the pre-heat system. As I recall, they used very sophisticated particle measuring machines to actually measure particle.

ira
Team HB

#17: Post by ira »

Here are a couple of links to discussions on the Clima Pro.

https://sprudge.com/nuova-simonelli-cli ... 46084.html
What temperature would you grind your coffee at?

http://www.tampertantrum.com/developing-the-mythos/

I think the last one is what you might be looking for.

Ira

nuketopia

#18: Post by nuketopia »

Yup, the last link is the one I was looking for, thank you.

aecletec

#19: Post by aecletec »

Thankyou!

BillBurrGrinder

#20: Post by BillBurrGrinder »

BaristaBob wrote:Just something I have been wondering about in preparation of receiving my new MonoCon grinder this September (only three months away). My current grinder is a Rancilio Rocky. To get this baby to perform "well" I found through a series of experiments that freezing each dose of beans overnight really enhanced flavor in the cup. So my routine consists of grinding frozen beans, along with RDT and WDT. I'm "satisfied" with the end results, however, I'm hoping to eliminate the freezing step in the grinding process, if possible. So...what do most of you do? Have any of you experimented with room temp vs. frozen bean grinding with the MonoCon and if so what was your flavor experience...better, worse, no difference?
Hi Bob,

Now that you have your Monolith I wanted to touch base on this old thread. I have done the tests. All signs indicate that freezing the beans preserves the fresh flavor. No freeze taste whatsoever, they always taste fresh. I freeze 4-6 days post roast and they remain in the sweet zone for WEEKS AND WEEKS! I just pulled a 1:3 Americano of some Panama Geisha that was put in the freezer over a month ago and tastes better with each week. Maybe each week in the freezer is equal to a day in airtight. Btw, only using ziplocks nothing fancy.

Hope your loving the Monolith.