Monolith Conical approaching zero, now what?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Phaedrus

#1: Post by Phaedrus »

After starting around 9, my monolith conical is now approach zero when grinding a traditional Italian 14g double shot. Today I pulled a ristreto at zero and it ran much too fast. I vaguely recall a post about simply cutting a new arrow and pasting it on. So, I figure I'd put a blue arrow on the 10 mark when the red is on the zero mark. What have others done when they've run out of numbers? Is there a particular type of sticker you used that matches the original Kafatek arrow? (Yes, I'm ocd - a simple mark with a sharpie will certainly not do!)

ds

#2: Post by ds »

Yes, indeed, new arrow is in order. I would personally put it smack in the middle on 5 so you have some room to roll around. I think stickers are made from 3M vinyl if I remember correctly.

Advertisement
wsfarrell

#3: Post by wsfarrell »

True confession: I thought the arrow was engraved or something, so when mine neared zero I emailed Denis and asked what to do. "Peel it off and move it," he replied, in nicer words. Oops........

nrh

#4: Post by nrh »

I made a new (additional) one. Check out this thread:

Monolith Pourover Quality
Nick H.

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

Leave the red arrow where it is, use it for your super light roasted coffee that needs to be ground very fine.

Dial in your traditional 14g Italian shot parameters (if you're using a darker roast) and place a new marker dead center. You'll be able to track both as long as you remember which is which. But I don't vary my dose much, so I don't need to make very drastic changes.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Phaedrus (original poster)

#6: Post by Phaedrus (original poster) »

Perfect! Thank you everyone for replying. Time for some arts & crafts...