Monoleeth Flat Pour Over Grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ronncat

#1: Post by ronncat »

MONOLEETH FLAT BURR POUR OVER GRINDER

Introducing our Monoleeth Flat burr single dosing pour over grinder with 50mm burrs. The end-game grinder. It's the simplest designed grinder in the world designed and built in Sacramento, USA. Burrs we use have very small inner diameter so effective cutting surface length is close to the cutting surface of other 50mm burrs. Small burrs in small package. Since flat burrs expel ground coffee on the sides, we angled the grinder to allow straight down exit of ground coffee into the basket. As it is tradition with Monolith grinders, we used super short magnetically attached exit chute that can be easily tapped out and cleared of any remaining coffee.

The Monoleeth Flat uses a standard capacitor start AC motor. RPM (rotations per minute) are fixed at the factory.

Everything is integrated into the grinder base and all you need to do is plug the power cable. Monoleeth Flat, unlike Conical and Flat version is available in only 110v.

Grinder is very compact at 7.3″/18.5cm wide, 7.3″/18.5cm deep and only 14″/35.5cm tall so it will fit under any kitchen counter.

*50mm tool steel burrs rated for about 480lbs/200kg of coffee grind through.
*Minimal retention inside of grinder, less than 2 grams without RDT and about 1g with RDT, all of course depending on moisture left in roasted bean.
*Grind from the finest Turkish coffee to French Press, Espresso, Mocha, and Filter coffee.
*Precise, stepped fineness adjustment.
*Built in timer for accurate timing of pour over and French Press.
*Magnetically attached super short exit chute, simply detach it and tap it out to release any coffee left.
*AC motor made in Italy with over 21 years of real time usage.
*Aligned with OEM bearings.
*Simple design for long term durability.
*Easy to clean inside of grinder without losing your grind setting.
*Only made as a one off with grinder individually taste tested.
*It never ships to you even if it can extract espresso well. No extraction report is made nor provided with the grinder. This is not nor will it ever be mass produced item.
*Made in USA, made and finished in Sacramento, USA.
*7.3″/18.5cm wide, 7.3″/18.5cm deep and only 14″/35.5cm tall

What is included with Each grinder?

*Monoleeth Flat Burr Grinder.
*110V power cable. We use standard PC power outlet (IEC320C13) .
*WDT tool to aid distribution of coffee in basket.
*RDT spray bottle, in case you want to neutralize static by spraying beans with water mist.
*Tall dosing funnel.
*12 months non-commercial use warranty.

How is Monoleeth built and tested?

Each Monoleeth grinder is precision CNC machined in Sacramento, USA to tolerances of thousands of an inch. Exceptional espresso requires exceptionally accurate burr alignment so we attempt to get decent tolerances on all critical parts.

Each grinder is then hand built and most importantly hand tested. If there are any problems with parts during assembly they are rejected. Then each Monoleeth is not only tested that it runs and can grind coffee, but we use your grinder to make espresso using our benchmark coffee on one of our machines; La Pavoni Pub M or V, Aeropress or French Press. Then we compare those espresso shots to the shots made with our reference Monolith. If the taste is not to our standards, we drink it anyway. This proves that your grinder can't work as well as ours does.

Any more questions, please contact us.

Flat is priced at $10,000,00 US dollars + $9.95 shipping and handling. Next production run is expected to start shipping in May 2050, pre-orders are open now.

If you would like to be notified on Monoleeth production updates, pre-orders and our new products use form below to subscribe to email notifications:

Well, if you haven't figured it out yet...

APRIL FOOLS :lol:

I thought that for my first post here on the HB forum, I would do something a little different than simply introduce myself. That being said, a little background.

I bought my first real espresso machine 20+ years ago. Traded in all the duplicate wedding gifts and used the funds to buy my first LaPavoni Pub. That has lasted through a couple of partial rebuilds and finally was relegated to my office when I came across an automatic version of my same machine. That entailed buying a new grinder for home as the old Brasilia BFD went to work.

Settled on a Fiorenzato F4 and was happy with that for the better part of a year. However, all the research I did when picking the F4 opened my eyes to how the espresso game works...namely that the grinder dictates your success. Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a Monolith Flat from Denis. This is where it started to get interesting. My new LaPavoni Pub V suddenly stopped working one day. I suspected the Gicar, so I sent it off to get looked at. Turns out it was fine, but I went a month without an espresso machine at home. (Luckily a week of that was spent on a cruise ship with a decent coffee shop :wink: ) I resorted to drinking French Press coffee at home. Finally I found a burned trace in the keypad and did a simple work around...Espresso again!!!!

When the Monolith Flat showed up, the Fiorenzato took the trip up the road to my office, and that left me with the Brasilia as an extra. At home, I had become so enamored with the Flat that I decided to take on a little project. And here you have it....THE MONOLEETH FLAT. I gutted the grind chamber from the BFD and with Denis's blessings, I spent the last few weekends in my garage creating a new body for it. Looks kinda neat next to the real McCoy. Unfortunately, still grinds like a BFD :lol: This grinder will be purposed to grind coarse for French Press and Aeropress. It will keep me from having to switch the grind on the Flat should I want to do something other than Espresso. Plus... it looks real neat next to the real Monolith.

CwD

#2: Post by CwD »

That is an absolutely impressive amount of dedication to the look! And looks fantastic.

Lot more work than the quick EK43 Home I made up in GIMP for April Fools.

ronncat (original poster)

#3: Post by ronncat (original poster) »

A small update on the Monoleeth.

I finally got around to wiring everything up, then took it out for a little spin. Unfortunately, it doesn't play nice like its namesake sibling and proceeded to fling the grinds out of the spout at an angle instead of dropping them straight down. Needless to say, with the portafilter locked in the holder, and no OE funnel, this created a bit of a mess :( .

Back to the drawing board, but first I had to machine a Monolith style portafilter holder for my Fiorenzato F4. I'll be strapping that onto my grinder at work tomorrow :D

Anyhow, with inspiration from FotonDrv's catch can, I sat down and started turning on the lathe. This is what I came up with...

Should hold enough grinds for a 36 oz French Press...

I did add a little something though. If you look at the bottom of the cup, you will see a glint of brass. I turned this to perfectly fit inside my VST basket. It is adjustable by shimming the 3/8-24 set screw. Basically, I've created the world's tallest palm tamper. I just need to turn a top for it when I get time :wink: