Molar Z Grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
drill_and_phil
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by drill_and_phil »

Had the opportunity to pick up a Molar Z grinder locally off Craigslist. I haven't seen any threads on it here so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

I'd been tracking these since they came out but never thought I'd get a chance to use one. It's a single dosing grinder with very low speed (50-400rpm) that features a 450W brushless motor with a gearbox and runs 120mm SSP Red Speed burrs. The design is angled at about 45 degrees. The grinder came with a PF funnel, PF stand, bellows, odd tapered lid, different stiffness springs, an RDT bottle, and a magnetic funnel. Here are some of my initial impressions:

I currently have an 804 Lab Sweet I've been single dosing and have been very happy with, but I wanted to try these massive burrs. I also have a Niche that I use exclusively with my Robot. I had quite a few difficulties when I first started dialing in the Molar Z - the shots at my Lab Sweet dose were running through very quickly (tasted very acidic) and I had a hard time getting up to higher pressures. I had to updose to 18g and remove the spacer kit from my DE1 to start getting acceptable shots.

The grinder has a very slow workflow: I've been running it at 240rpm and it takes about 40s to grind my 18g dose (running Coffee & Tea Collective Steel Frame). In comparison, the Lab Sweet would eat through a dose like this in 4-5 seconds. The speed doesn't bother me as much as the noise - this is certainly a fairly noisy grinder especially if you don't put the cover over the bellows/grind chamber.

However, I've been very happy with the taste in the cup. My problem with the Lab Sweet was that while just about every shot tasted acceptable, it doesn't have as much contrast of flavors. With the Molar dialed in, I'm able to get a viscous, smooth shot that has more acidity and more floral notes. I tend to drink cortados in the morning and I really enjoy tasting more flavors through the milk. Straight shots are equally tasty and I've been enjoying the "high dynamic range". Additionally, once dialed in, the grinder holds its settings very well and shots are very reproducible.

I didn't pay the full cost ($4200 + shipping from Taiwan) for the grinder. I'm not sure I think it'd be worth it for that price, but I'm very happy with it as a secondhand purchase. Time will tell how reliable the grinder is. I'm still in the honeymoon phase of using this grinder and will be happy to share my thoughts in a few weeks once the newness wears off.
LMWDP #661

Capuchin Monk

#2: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Thanks for sharing. It must've been a dire situation for someone to part ways with such grinder. :cry:

drill_and_phil (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by drill_and_phil (original poster) »

Glad to contribute! Their reason for selling was that they felt it was too loud in the morning and have been very happy with their P100.
LMWDP #661

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by buckersss »

I very much enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.

dak

#5: Post by dak »

drill_and_phil wrote:Had the opportunity to pick up a Molar Z grinder locally off Craigslist. I haven't seen any threads on it here so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

Cool looking grinder for sure. I remember reading about them a couple years ago.
With such huge flat burrs I wonder well alligned and tight their manufacturing tolerances are.

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by drill_and_phil (original poster) »

I'm not sure on tolerances and don't have any good equipment to measure it with. That said, the machining looks pretty good to me:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEDXni2BxKe ... MyMTA2M2Y=

I'll try to look at alignment in the next couple weeks when I have some time off. Jimmy advertises it as being a key part of their manufacturing process, but I don't have any specifics.
LMWDP #661

Ben Z.

#7: Post by Ben Z. »

Yeah, if I had a dollar for every one of these I've seen on Craigslist, I'd have zero dollars. What a find! Thanks for posting.

EvanOz85

#8: Post by EvanOz85 »

Unbelievable. I've been fascinated by 120mm burrs for a while now. I wonder how these compare to clarity-forward 98mm sets? Have you tried pulling turbo-style shots with it? I find the best shots from my Max are done in this style.

Now if only someone would make a single dosing grinder for Ditting's 140mm or 180mm burrs :P

Supporter ♡

#9: Post by drill_and_phil (original poster) »

EvanOz85 wrote:I wonder how these compare to clarity-forward 98mm sets? Have you tried pulling turbo-style shots with it? I find the best shots from my Max are done in this style.
Not just yet! I'll have more time to experiment next week so I'll give it a try. I haven't had any 98mm burrs (yet) so can't compare. Thanks!
LMWDP #661

bostonbuzz

#10: Post by bostonbuzz »

If you come to Santa Cruz bring it along and it can go toe to toe with my big swiss lady, the KFA 1203 with ditting 120mm machined burrs. Grinds in 1 second. :D

I also have the dull cast burrs which SSP will sharpen as a paperweight, but I'm waiting until inspiration strikes.
LMWDP #353