Molar Z Grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
drill_and_phil (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by drill_and_phil (original poster) »

Time for a field trip :)

Here are a few more photos. The first is taken after taking the top burr off showing retention using a low rpm (200-300):

Not seeing too much, but some larger bits are getting stuck and not fed into the burrs. Upping the RPM could fix this without messing with workflow too much. In videos of the Mini Z, Molar says you can use a brush inside to push the bits into the burrs, but this doesn't sound like a wise nor efficient solution to me.

Here's a photo of the upper burr carrier in my hand to give some scale to how large these burrs are:
LMWDP #661

bostonbuzz

#12: Post by bostonbuzz »

That geometry is wild.
LMWDP #353

EvanOz85

#13: Post by EvanOz85 »

Those are gorgeous! Would just love to compare those to my 98mm SLM's but I think the distance is a liiiiiitle prohibitive. :lol:

BaristaBob

#14: Post by BaristaBob »

Speaking of alignment, that top burr in your hand looks like there is slightly more wear on the bottom edge than on top...though it could be just the lighting in your photo.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

EvanOz85

#15: Post by EvanOz85 replying to BaristaBob »

Fairly positive it's the angle. The top edge of the blades on the bottom are overlapping the view of the retained coffee stuck inside them, making it look like there's more contact there.

Supporter ♡

#16: Post by drill_and_phil (original poster) »

Agreed - looked at some other pictures and think it's just the angle and post-processing done by my iPhone that make them look worn.
LMWDP #661

BaristaBob

#17: Post by BaristaBob »

@ drill_and_Phil

Keep us posted on your experience. I too have admired this big bad boy grinder from afar. Just pricey!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Capuchin Monk

#18: Post by Capuchin Monk »

BaristaBob wrote:Just pricey!
And out of stock.

Supporter ♡

#19: Post by drill_and_phil (original poster) »

Will do! Didn't know they were out of stock, I just assumed that they're mostly made to order. I've been trying out the max 400 rpm to speed up the workflow and can now grind a regular dose in around 10 sec with some minor grind adjustment. I can put together a video later this week if anyone's interested in seeing it in action.
LMWDP #661

EvanOz85

#20: Post by EvanOz85 replying to drill_and_phil »

A video would be great!