Mod Idea: Reducing retention on Mazzer Super Jolly

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mikeness

#1: Post by mikeness »

A while ago, I converted my rebuilt doser SJ to doserless with the usual funnel/anti-static screen with hopper dosing. The results were good, but in order to actually purge all stale grinds with the anti-static screen at the end of the "plug" or chute, I needed to run a good 10-15 grams through the grinder, as the screen design makes it far from first in first out (won't get into those details, falls under the "it is what it is" column). I couldn't stand the waste, so out came the screen and I went to single dosing into the LW Blind Shaker. Now I'm very satisfied with the results, but I've got another kid on the way... gotta speed up my routine with virtually no budget. Challenge accepted!

I looked toward the Ceado E37S (what I'd buy if they weren't $1,800 CAD) chute & anti-static combo design... one of the main reasons for its low retention seems to be because where the grinds back up - ie. right at the beginning of the grind path, vs Mazzer which holds the grinds right up until the end of its path.

So I ask the all knowledgeable community here, any reason why a flexible metal flap could not be placed at the entrance of the plug/chute to create a horizontal back pressure on the Mazzer SJ? The grinds should purge more linearly vs the Mazzer anti-static screen and also eliminates having the fill the plug at all with stale grinds.

Thoughts?

chrisbodnarphoto

#2: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

If the SJ is anything like the Major I'm not sure how easy it would be to add any part directly next to the burr path without risking serious damage if something were to come loose or get damaged.

I think the obvious solution is simple - why not simply remove the anti static screen and add WDT to your routine? If you search the web (or HB) for doserless mods to Major grinders you'll see a couple of clever ideas to direct grinds externally just outside the chute to prevent them from sticking to the funnel upon impact.

I'm presuming the chute size is roughly equivalent to that of the Major - small and only taking a really quick second or two to brush the entire chute out. If the chute is much bigger in the SJ I apologize for not being educated!

LukeFlynn

#3: Post by LukeFlynn »

I don't think it would work, there isn't enough clearance for anything in the burr chamber. This applies to ALL mazzers.

What you could do though is remove some of the grid, I've seen this done before so that it kills static, but doesn't retain as many grinds.

wsfarrell

#4: Post by wsfarrell »

Here's my modded Super Jolly with a spout kit from Espresso Parts and a bopper on top that started life as some sort of cake frosting tool. With a little RDT for static and a couple of bops, there is ZERO retention.

chrisbodnarphoto

#5: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

wsfarrell wrote:Here's my modded Super Jolly with a spout kit from Espresso Parts and a bopper on top that started life as some sort of cake frosting tool. With a little RDT for static and a couple of bops, there is ZERO retention.

<image>
That bop tool is brilliant! Might have to add one of those to my arsenal. I can't imagine what crazy look I'll get asking for a bop tool at my local William Sonoma! :lol:

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mgwolf »

I use a little flat piece of plastic (coffee scoop handle) to manually scrape out the grinds from the chute on my SJ. Takes about 3 seconds. I spritz the grinds first which eliminates static and reduces the amount of grinds in the chute. This would be the easiest/cheapest solution. I have a pastry brush that I use on the inside of the doser to brush the vanes/sides clean. Takes about 4 seconds.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

wsfarrell wrote:Here's my modded Super Jolly with a spout kit from Espresso Parts and a bopper on top that started life as some sort of cake frosting tool. With a little RDT for static and a couple of bops, there is ZERO retention.
I've been looking for that bellows piece and wonder if it's the kind that fits on a turkey baster. Search bellows baster to see what I mean.

BTW a couple whacks on top of a hopperless SJ with the Palm of your hand blows the grounds out pretty well.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

roadman
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by roadman »

Gonna try your big bopper idea. Ordered this yesterday from Bed Bath & Beyond. Hopefully it'll fit.
Thanks for the suggestion.

wsfarrell

#9: Post by wsfarrell replying to roadman »

Looks good. I added a ring cut from a cheap silicone pastry mat ($1.00 on eBay) to help seal the bottom.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by jwCrema »

Never underestimate the ingenuity of souls who are under the spell of the espresso bean.