Mini Mazzer setting for various coffee production methods

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Trimethylpurine

#1: Post by Trimethylpurine »

I have a Mazzer Mini and have been using it for espresso for a year now.

Circumstances have moved me towards trying other brew methods. I have the grind settings for espresso well worked out, but not for pour over and French press.

Can someone who does all three of these on a Mazzer Mini let me know what numbers on the dial they are setting at?

I know I wont be able to use the same numbers, but I think the threads are standard, and I should be able to use your espresso and my espresso settings as a starting point. If you are say 5 units up for pour over, I think 5 units up should get me in the ball park.

T
LMWDP #520 Trimethylpurine

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

The burrs of the Mini are made for espresso and won't work well with other brew methods, especially french press. And even if it could it would be a pain in the *** to set it back and forth because you'll waste a lot of coffee. It's better to buy a separate grinder for other brew methods.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by jwCrema »

+1

I had a mini and thought that surely it would grind for cold brew. Wrong. Espresso only.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

It has been discussed quite a few times on the forums. Espresso centric grinders really only work for espresso. I ended up getting a bulk grinder for drip/press/siphon/etc... If you do a search for 'espresso grinder other brew method' you will get several thread discussing the topic.
Dave Stephens