Mazzer ZM manual

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » Mar 20, 2019, 2:25 pm

Noticed that there is very little info on here re the mazzer ZM grinders, has anyone here got one? Or am I the only one?
levers levers levers, is there any other way?

cunim

Postby cunim » Mar 20, 2019, 6:05 pm

So, tell us about it. I love the concept but don't have any idea about the execution.

ira
Supporter ♡

Postby ira » Mar 20, 2019, 8:08 pm

It's expensive and seems to have made very little penetration into the US market, but it seemed like it should be a seriously good grinder.

Ira

Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » Mar 21, 2019, 5:17 am

Ok her is the information that I posted on coffee forums uk

Mazzer have released this grinder in various models, this one has the manual adjustment and has been designed around brewed coffee.

Unfortunately not being a huge brewed drinker, I bought this on a whim hoping that it would be great for espresso as well, especially with the ultra low retention alla the ek43

First impressions were really good, this is one hell of a solid grinder weighing in at close to 40 kg with excellent build quality and components more akin to mazzers premium range that they supply to la Marzocco. It has a 900w motor that spins at 900 rpm, it exceptionally quiet and has a lovely smooth start stop action. Being used to the clunk of the ek this really comes as a pleasant surprise.

It's fairly big but not r120 and ek big it's 62 cm to the top of the hopper, however only 49cm high with the hopper removed. It's 45 cm front to back and 25 at its widest.

This came fitted with the 151 f burrs with a cut specific to brewed coffee, however I thought I would give them a go at espresso settings. I had to set them just off zero point to get a pour anything like espresso and even though the pour was fast, it had a juicy sweetness to it, something I have become used to from the ek43. That said the roast level of the Coffee I was using was not particularly light and as such I feel it would be impossible to get espresso out of lighter roasted coffee using the "f" burrs.

Rather than mess around with the filter burrs I fitted a set of ti coated 151b burrs which are a straight replacement into this grinder. What a difference, slow syrupy shots are now acheivable and even at the finer settings the retention is very very low and with a little effort is pretty much zero. The adjustment mechanism although stepped, is so accurate and each step is such a minute distance that fine tuning this grinder is simple and repeatable.

Chucked some yirg through it, dealt with them with ease and the resulting espresso through a standard L1 was blueberries, blueberries and more blueberries. I am going to get the SSP burrs for this grinder which should give me a marked improvement with what is already a great flavour profile.

I intend to do a bit of a strip down to show how well this is made but for now here are a few photos.

Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » Mar 21, 2019, 5:27 am

So stripped it down a little to show you some of the internal bits on this grinder. Fixed burr carrier assembly removal is simple, three hex bolts on the facia then a nice feature on this model is that the recessed part of the front plate doubles as a handle, a lovely touch on this but not on the latest versions of this grinder☹️

The tolerances on the burr carrier seem really tight which suggests that mazzer have really thought about the engineering on this grinder, the materials are excellent as is the overall finish.

Inside the burr chamber is the floating burr assembly with a really effective auger system, again mazzer tolerances here have really improved as there is a minute amount of movement when the burr is fitted ready to be tightened down.

Image.

Burr removal is fairly easy and refitting on the better engineered part a breeze.

Terranova
Supporter ♡

Postby Terranova » Mar 21, 2019, 8:26 am

Hi Dave,

I also had a ZM for a short while (it wasn't mine), it was the newer version. A bit more retention than the EK and the weight was a real handicap.
40kg / 88 lbs is the maximum I can carry down the stairs without breaking my back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvH2j6RHDx2/

With the original filter burrs I wasn't able to grind fine enough for a proper espresso flow.
Changed the burrs with Mazzer Stark / Royal and I was able to pull some great shots like you describe.

Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » replying to Terranova » Mar 21, 2019, 10:41 am

I agree frank, the weight is not helped by the ballast that mazzer have in the base! Interesting that you found it retained more than the ek as with a little effort I am getting pretty much zero retention with the 151 b burrs

cunim

Postby cunim » Mar 21, 2019, 12:44 pm

I sent Mazzer these questions regarding the electronic version of the ZM:

Please tell me:

1. Adjustment step increment in the espresso range (e.g. 5 um)
2. Precision of adjustment step setting. I expect the stepper is quite precise, but the machine precision depends on the mounting and other factors. If I set to 100 um, for example, what is the variation in the actual burr gap at that setting?

Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » replying to cunim » Mar 21, 2019, 3:04 pm

Cannot comment on the electronic version as I have not got that one, but the adjustment range on the manual is fantastic and very accurate

SomersetDee

Postby SomersetDee » Mar 22, 2019, 6:06 pm

I am interested to know more about the digital version... if the grind can be adjusted fine. I remember someone mentioning on YouTube that 150um is the minimum in digital. So it looks like it cannot grind at 100um. I will be checking one out soon.