Mazzer ZM manual - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » Mar 23, 2019, 5:39 am

SomersetDee wrote:I am interested to know more about the digital version... if the grind can be adjusted fine. I remember someone mentioning on YouTube that 150um is the minimum in digital. So it looks like it cannot grind at 100um. I will be checking one out soon.

Why don you come to the lever even at Cirencester end of April? I will have the manual and the electronic both set up for espresso there, also a compak r120, ek43, both kafateks, modified versalab and a WUG powered hg1.
levers levers levers, is there any other way?

Bunkmil

Postby Bunkmil » Mar 23, 2019, 8:06 am

Coffeechap wrote: I will have the manual and the electronic both set up for espresso there, also a compak r120, ek43, both kafateks, modified versalab and a WUG powered hg1.

That's a great grinder collection!

The modified Versalab is next on my wishlist.

cunim

Postby cunim » Mar 23, 2019, 9:27 am

Coffeechap wrote:Why don you come to the lever even at Cirencester end of April? I will have the manual and the electronic both set up for espresso there, also a compak r120, ek43, both kafateks, modified versalab and a WUG powered hg1.

It would be appreciated if you could give your impressions after the event. I am attracted to the feature set of the electronic ZM, primarily the claimed ability to reproduce precisely specified burr gaps. However, there is probably a reason Mazzer has positioned this as a filter grinder. For a Canadian $4000 grinder (what it costs here) to succeed for espresso requires that the burr carrier and other components maintain tight tolerances at narrow gap settings. Only this would allow taking advantage of what the stepper motor can offer. The ZM is a great design concept that seems to have made very little impression in the field and that is not heavily marketed for espresso. Why, I wonder. Mazzer have not replied to my questions, as yet.

Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » replying to cunim » Mar 23, 2019, 11:40 am

Will be happy to post my findings after the event, it is certainly in a room with the best grinders out there and it is only being used for espresso on the day. What I can say is that the manual version is excellent at espresso and a genuine zero retention grinder!

SomersetDee

Postby SomersetDee » Mar 23, 2019, 12:22 pm

Coffeechap wrote:Why don you come to the lever even at Cirencester end of April? I will have the manual and the electronic both set up for espresso there, also a compak r120, ek43, both kafateks, modified versalab and a WUG powered hg1.

Of course. I am in Glastonsury. Not that far for me. I might take you up on that!! The final straw on the camel was when my mother in law needed decaffeinated beans. In my robur that is extremely difficult to implement. There is so much ground retention that it is next to impossible to try different beans quickly. But I must also say that despite its flaws, Robur does provide the greatest of the great espressos. :)

Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » replying to SomersetDee » Mar 23, 2019, 12:43 pm

Are you a member of CFUK? If so have a look at the lever day thread on there you can see the details and the astonishing prize that Londinium have donated!!!!!

SomersetDee

Postby SomersetDee » replying to Coffeechap » Mar 23, 2019, 12:58 pm

Just registered and saw that Conti.

Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » replying to SomersetDee » Mar 23, 2019, 1:09 pm

We are quite a friendly bunch there, do an introduction and join in lots of members on both forums

SomersetDee

Postby SomersetDee » replying to Coffeechap » Mar 31, 2019, 1:32 pm

I made an introductory at CFUK and my post did not get published. :) Not sure what happened.

Coffeechap

Postby Coffeechap » Apr 01, 2019, 6:56 am

That seems very odd