Mazzer Super Jolly Won't Start

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
icecreemlove

#1: Post by icecreemlove »

Hi New to the forum so please be gentle. My super jolly was left running by a colleague and got jammed now won't start unless i manually trip the contactor using a screwdriver on the little on off indicator on the top. The motor will spin when i do this but the 3 pole switch is doing nothing. I assume it can be only the cap, the switch ( all mechanical so not sure how) or the contactor ( also mechanical no? ) has anyone else seen this or know what is the part i need to replace? Thanks in advance. Newbie. Rupert

- its Ess presso not Ex presso.

wearashirt

#2: Post by wearashirt »

Have you tried opening it? I had switch problems with mine as well. I just had to tape the entire switch mechanism from the inside, and it was like new!

icecreemlove (original poster)

#3: Post by icecreemlove (original poster) »

Hi wearashirt, opening the switch ? or the contactor? I opened the switch but there is nothing really to break it is just a paddle and some contacts?....

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by jwCrema »

I'd give https://www.espressoparts.com/ a call. I'm not convinced that the problem is the switch based on what I've read. They have been super-helpful when I've had questions about my Mazzers. They also have great prices if you need to buy parts.

My Super Jolly has a timer switch, which prevents your scenario from happening, and I'd go with that if your colleague still has grinder priviledges.

Hopefully colleague will chip in on the repair cost - Mazzer is proud of their parts.

double0

#5: Post by double0 »

I had the same problem with a major and tried the same thing by messing with the contactor. In my case, it was the fact that i tried starting it without the hopper, which when put in its place, it triggered a switch up there and allow it to turn on. Tho i havent seen that type of trigger switch on the Super Jollys. The new SJs have a shut off mechanism for when the motor gets too hot but i should be able to restart after a while? If doesnt, then you might need a new contactor? If that ends up being the case, i actually have a couple if you're interested.

icecreemlove (original poster)

#6: Post by icecreemlove (original poster) »

Hi double0 i would def be interested in a contactor sorry it has been a while since my post hope you still have them!

walker30

#7: Post by walker30 »

It could be that the flap switch is stuck in the up / off position. See if the flap moves freely up and down or bypass the flap switch with a short piece of wire at the contactor where the flap switch connects... to test that theory.
Otherwise it is very likely the contactor itself if you can manually start the motor by manipulating the contactor.

As for the on / off / start switch...whether toggle or rotary....make sure all of the thin wires are intact and still attached.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by jwCrema »

Funny, I was looking at this thread again, as I have a fondness for SJ's. Re-reading it I really liked the suggestion to call espressoparts.com from someone who tried to help. They are very knowledgeable and it's free - how can anyone turn that one down?

Then I looked at who posted that idea. Ok. I feel good about my earlier suggestion, better than I did back then.