Mazzer Super Jolly - what are signs of motor/bearings on the way out? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Stuggi

#11: Post by Stuggi »

Do note that you have an excellent opportunity to "upgrade" the bearings to ones that are quieter, sealed, higher precision, thrust surfaces etc, as the bigger manufacturers usually make several versions of the same bearing with different addons. You might also want to make sure you get a high-end bearing in there while you're at it, personally I recommend SKF, they are the original inventor of the ball bearing, and they were the company that started Volvo, so they usually know what they are doing. ;)
Sebastian "Stuggi" Storholm
LMWDP #136

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. »

I didn't say the stock bearings were poor quality I said they were a common model & easily found. They are a name brand bearing & obviously they are sealed or they wouldn't last long in that grinder. I always buy bearings with rubber/plastic shields so I can pop off the covers & pack them with high quality grease before installing. Most bearings are sold with very little grease inside & what is in the isn't the best.
LMWDP 267

Stuggi

#13: Post by Stuggi »

Oh, I wasn't saying that either, I was just pointing out that name brand standard bearings aren't the best out there, usually you have quite a bit of really high end stuff that fits just as well, so if one goes through the bother of changing them one might as well install the best, not just good, especially when the cost between good and great isn't that much for just one set.
Sebastian "Stuggi" Storholm
LMWDP #136