Mazzer Super Jolly V Pro

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
drH

#1: Post by drH »

Hi all - I just received the SJ VP and thought I'd share initial impressions.
It's only the first day, so it's not dialed in yet, but what a beauty. Sturdy, solid, heavy, and a pleasure to manipulate.

My cabinets are 16.5 inches high, so I can't use the hopper. Instead I've been using the Levercraft dosing funnel/cup. This means I can weigh beans in the cup, pop it onto the Mazzer, turn it on, then press down to release the beans (no need to pull the grinder from under the cabinet to use it).
The levercraft cup also acts a bit like a bellows and pushing on it a few times does a nice job puffing out grounds.
As to retention, Mazzer claims 50% less retention than the last model.
My first dose of beans (no rdt, no bellows) went in at 14g and 10g came out. Since I've been using rdt and bellows I get out what I put in, but I'd say there's still 2-4g of exchange (maybe more if I were to take the machine apart and really sweep it out to weigh all the bits).
Anyway, I don't see this as a dealbreaker. Once I'm dialed in, I don't mind if I have to purge a few grams at the start of the day. And given the nice design and robust construction, it'd been fun to use so far. (Note that the orphan espresso Mazzer Mini & SJ single dose metal hopper also fits nicely).

I'll report back on taste, etc. once I've had more time with it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

MNate

#2: Post by MNate »

Nice! It would be fun to see some photos of how you use it. I bet future retention will be a lot less as a few gaps get filled with stuff that never leaves. Should be great!

Advertisement
drH (original poster)

#3: Post by drH (original poster) »

Here it is now next to the Maximatic with the Orphan Espresso small hopper.
I managed to mostly dial it in today using Malabar Gold. There's some astringency and dryness to the shots right now, which I also experienced when breaking in my other flat burr grinder. I expect that to smooth out as I get some coffee through it.

drH (original poster)

#4: Post by drH (original poster) »

Incidentally, the 54mm portafilter of the Maximatic fits nicely in the super jolly holder. I expect I'll need a dosing cup for the Cremina.

vg

#5: Post by vg »

You're kidding me, Dustin! I kept looking here for months in the hope to have some opinions on the SJ V Pro - to no avail - and then you start a thread just a week after I received mine? :D

I've been eyeing this revamped SJ ever since I saw pictures of it. It is more a lateral change for me since I already owned a Ceado E5 with a doser that has 64 mm burrs. I was mainly looking to simplify our workflow by removing the need to weigh each and every dose. (I know, some will say that I should weigh everytime anyway; I *could*, but my wife and daughter certainly prefer not to.)

Impressions so far other than the amazing build quality and awesome look? Certainly a much fluffier grind than I used to get. Taste wise, nothing to declare, really, but I didn't do extensive comparisons.

Oh, and the power light is red, not green as in the renderings on Mazzer's site. :wink:

drH (original poster)

#6: Post by drH (original poster) »

I agree - super nice grinder and great user experience- I can see why it's popular in cafes. The warning that it comes with, noting that the grinder is not meant for home use always freaks me out, but I love it nonetheless.
As to taste, I believe it is getting better as I use it. Seems to have a conical like profile, which suits me fine. I'm curious what it would be like to swap in some SSP burrs.

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

drH wrote:I'm curious what it would be like to swap in some SSP burrs.
If you're looking for a smooth, blended cup, the 64 MPs may not be the best choice, but here's a recent chapter in the Frankenjolly story -- https://pocketsciencecoffee.com/2022/03 ... nkenjolly/

Advertisement
Espesotime

#8: Post by Espesotime »

Nice setup! Curious., I lust ordered some Malabar Gold coffee.. what did you finally end up dialing in with this coffee. Thanks

babola

#9: Post by babola »

Just had to throw this in, for a good measure ! ;-)