Mazzer Super Jolly E grinding by itself

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ellejaycafe

#1: Post by Ellejaycafe »

I purchased a mazzer super jolly from Prima coffee 6 months ago. I am having issues with it currently.... It is the doserless electronic version and is turning onanistic grinding by itself without me pressing any buttons. It does this in bursts and sometimes stays on for a long time. I have only had the grinder 6 months and I have taken great care of it I don't understand how this could happen.

The grinder is under warranty but that involves shipping it to prima and getting it back. I need in my shop Monday morning!!

Figured I would ask you lovely people if you had any advice for me.... A technician said it looks to be the control board for the buttons. I am very tech savvy but not with electronics... So any help would be appreciated!!
LMWDP #544

johnny4lsu

#2: Post by johnny4lsu »

May be wise to send it off and try to find a fellow coffee shop friend that will loan one to you until you get yours back

Advertisement
Ellejaycafe (original poster)

#3: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) replying to johnny4lsu »

If only I knew someone with a grinder.... That's the issue. I run a shop with my wife and I and its just us in a business building.... We aren't really "well known" in the coffee community here.

That would be the ideal situation though so thank you for the advice.

I'm trying to talk the wife into letting me buy a k30 and use this for decaf once we get it back.... She's not buying into it since we just got this grinder.
LMWDP #544

LukeFlynn

#4: Post by LukeFlynn »

Could look for a used Major on eBay, the Super Jolly isn't really up to the task of an all day duty grinder anyways, but it can certainly do decaf.

boost

#5: Post by boost »

Could be just the sticking or intermittent membrane microswitch, probably the middle manual button. I am not quite sure if you can disconnect the lid control easily but it may worth a try to narrow down if the lid switch is indeed the problem.

#6: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) replying to boost »

It's really easy to access. I took it off and took a look to see if anything was lose and all seemed secure. How could I fix that if it is sticking??

I think it's the manual switch because it does it in bursts. If it were the dosing switches it would do it for the set amount of time I would imagine.
LMWDP #544

#7: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

LukeFlynn wrote:Could look for a used Major on eBay, the Super Jolly isn't really up to the task of an all day duty grinder anyways, but it can certainly do decaf.
Thanks for the advice on how to fix it....

This grinder has worked great for us. We are a medium volume shop.... We do 150-200 drinks a day not all espresso based. A major seemed to hold too much in the chute honestly and I would lose a lot of money that way.

The super jolly isn't the "best grinder" I know this. But it is serving me well until I decide to upgrade. Like I said my upgrade with be to a k30 vario. It seems to fit my needs more than any mazzer does.
LMWDP #544

Advertisement

#8: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

I don't understand the hate for the super jolly. And it wasn't my purpose for making this thread. The grinder scored what... Half a point below the robur in the TGP? It's a great grinder for me and I really like it. Come taste my espresso then tell me to get a new grinder.
LMWDP #544

johnny4lsu

#9: Post by johnny4lsu »

Exactly. Great grinder.

LukeFlynn

#10: Post by LukeFlynn »

I never said it wasn't a great grinder, I had one before I got my Major. I was just giving you a suggestion since you were looking at a K30.. I figured I'd offer maybe a more cost effective option. I don't hate the Super Jolly, the grind quality is great. For cafe use, it's just slower, that's it. I apologize for offending your grinder...

I also never told you to buy a new grinder, simply suggested that you could look at other options as a backup/replacement.

Just a note on retention, the E models of both the Super Jolly and Major have a screen that holds coffee in the chute, and the chute on both the Major and SJ is the same size, the SJ retains about 4 grams, the Major retains about 6-7 grams.. is that really much more waste? For home usage I'd say absolutely, a lot of cafes around here seem to be doing great with it though. In any case.. most of the retention difference is due to the size of the burrs. Of course, if you're pumping out a lot of coffee the retention won't matter as much because you won't have to discard it unless you make a change to the grind since it won't be hanging out long enough to go stale.

Regardless of any of that information, I really don't have any further input as to how to fix your grinder other than contact the distributor who sold it to you in the first place. Sorry.