Mazzer Super Jolly Auto - Wiring Diagram & Questions

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
_Ryan_

#1: Post by _Ryan_ »

Hi,

Going against the DF64 trend and picked up a used SJ (in pretty good condition, 2016 build) to convert to doserless/SD to see if I like 64mm SSP burrs.
Whilst my Mini E is hanging around, it'll receive brew burrs so won't be suitable for espresso anymore.
This means I'll be down a grind on demand grinder for entertaining.

I figure since I have to touch the wiring on the SJ to remove the doser, I might as well wire in an 'instant on delay switch' circuit.
A basic time delay circuit with an adjustable pot, so that when the grinder is turned to 'on'/run it'll only run for a predetermined (adjustable) period of time.
Not a huge quality of life improvement for the SD workflow, but having a mini hopper floating around means I can remove the bellows/throat, fit the mini's hopper and I'll have a grind on demand espresso grinder again.

Couple of questions
- Has anyone done similar?
- Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2016 Mazzer Super Jolly Auto?

Cheers,

Ryan

stuartmac

#2: Post by stuartmac »

Not sure why this posted twice my bad, see below

stuartmac

#3: Post by stuartmac »

Is yours the twist timer? You can just bypass it and plug the whole thing into an external timer or get your Dremel out and mount the digital timer in the case, there is a small 1/32 din panel mount timer i had found that was ideal for this. Not sure on contact rating you may have to install a secondary relay for that. I have a old SJ's kicking around that i was going to to the same conversion on just ran out of motivation.

Pressino

#4: Post by Pressino »

You'll need to remove and reroute the auto-doser wires when you remove the doser and replace it with a single doser mod (like the DW mod). How this is done has been discussed on this website. I did this for my SJ Auto and as regards the auto switch I left it as it was and just turn it on and then off when the grind is done.

_Ryan_ (original poster)

#5: Post by _Ryan_ (original poster) » replying to Pressino »

I'm 3d printing a doserless mod/chute setup. SSP burrs have been ordered. Only wiring outstanding.

I did search, there is reference to jumping a cable in a terminal block but no wiring diagrams for the grinder.

Depending on the wiring I might leave the switch where it is and add a potentiometer adjustable delay. Or I might 3d print a scale mount to replace the PF holder and install a momentary switch for 'manual' grind by weight. Or both.

Need a wiring diagram to help me decide my path forward as I want to jump from the existing terminal block rather than hack it up, which I THINK I can do

_Ryan_ (original poster)

#6: Post by _Ryan_ (original poster) »

stuartmac wrote:Is yours the twist timer? You can just bypass it and plug the whole thing into an external timer or get your Dremel out and mount the digital timer in the case, there is a small 1/32 din panel mount timer i had found that was ideal for this. Not sure on contact rating you may have to install a secondary relay for that. I have a old SJ's kicking around that i was going to to the same conversion on just ran out of motivation.
It is. I try to keep my electronics easy to return to standard in <5mins in case of failure (my PID case be out of the VBM in a few spade terminal clicks and a temp probe change over- for example, so if there were an electronics failure I'm not down a machine while waiting for parts).

Hence curious about how it's wired (without pulling it apart and tracing the circuit) as an option is to install the "not twist timer"on/off switch in place of the twist timer, and then from the terminal block do a run to a momentary switch that triggers a pot-controlled delay. with a second momentary switch that bypasses this for grinding to weight (I plan on also printing a scale mount to replace the PF holder).

If implemented the way I envisage, any failure in the added components can be bypassed with the standard jumper mod and the grinder will keep on working almost as Mazzer intended.

I was thinking of a screw-potentiometer adjustable design rather than digital so that I would have a much smaller bunch of stuff to tuck inside the case. Could then avoid cutting up the case by removing the pilot lamp or drilling into the 3d printed panel, depending on clearances.

Jake_G
Team HB

#7: Post by Jake_G »

Mazzer wiring diagrams are uploaded here for most of the models.

They may have changed things, but check to see if it looks right.

/downloads/
LMWDP #704

Pressino

#8: Post by Pressino »

There is an old thread from HB.com that describes how to remove and bypass the automatic doser circuit from the Kony and Major and I can attest it also works for the SJ, since I used the info successfully to adapt my SJ:

Mazzer Kony - removing doser microswitch instructions

_Ryan_ (original poster)

#9: Post by _Ryan_ (original poster) »

Thanks, good to know about that repository (filed that link away!)

There is a Robur wiring diagram for the E model. Will compare it to the auto terminal block.

In the absence of a SJ diagram have reached out to the importer to see what I can get out of them. If I get one, will get it uploaded somehow.

_Ryan_ (original poster)

#10: Post by _Ryan_ (original poster) »

Jake_G wrote:Mazzer wiring diagrams are uploaded here for most of the models.

They may have changed things, but check to see if it looks right.

/downloads/
Helps if I read each file name instead of searching the page.

File is named "mazzer_grinder_wiring_diagrams.pdf" pg11
URL /downloads/ ... agrams.pdf pg11