Mazzer Super Jolly 3d printed enhancements

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jannus

#1: Post by jannus »

Hello everyone,

I've got a mazzer SJ with doser, and I've been looking at doing some mods to make the doser work a bit better. Very long ago I did the clean sweeper mod, which was a big improvement, but I've never been very happy with the options of cups etc to cover the centre part of the doser. I've also tried some funnel-ish things to make the doser less messy, but for some reason also not had much luck there.
Earlier the year I built a 3D printer, and a few days ago did some searching on Thingiverse.com.

I found the following two:
First a doser spout
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1341572
and secondly a doser "egg"
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2398996

A few pics below.
Just posting it, because 3D printing does offer a very good and cheap alternative for modding coffee stuff. Yes, techinically ABS from a 3D printer is not rated food safe, each person (and specifically each lawyer) can have his opinion about that...

If you look at the close-ups, yes there are some ridges visible. In practise they don't seem to have much effect in terms of grinds sticking. I'll spray the unit with plastic compatible paint if it is a problem.

So far, everything works pretty well!

Cheers,
J

doser nosecone

doser funnel (with pliers for scale)

doser funnel fitted

funnel and nosecone fitted

jchung

#2: Post by jchung »

Glad you like the egg! Its been working well for me. Any grinds that land on it just needs to be brushed off. I also made a lid for the doser with a cutout for a 58mm tamper. You can see my thread here - More Mazzer grinder mods - lids.

I've just uploaded it to thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2532068

I also found this thing useful as well - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1141745

jannus (original poster)

#3: Post by jannus (original poster) »

Thanks Jchung, will definitely have a look at other units! :)
Cheers

turtle

#4: Post by turtle »

that looks Da Bomb....

Bet it works better than it looks
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

mrjag

#5: Post by mrjag »

There is a post-production process you can try that involves evaporated acetone to smooth out the fine ridges commonly found on a 3D-printed part. Google "3d print smooth acetone" and you can find a number of guides.

curmudgeon

#6: Post by curmudgeon »

mrjag wrote:There is a post-production process you can try that involves evaporated acetone to smooth out the fine ridges commonly found on a 3D-printed part. Google "3d print smooth acetone" and you can find a number of guides.
Be careful if you try that. There's a video somewhere on youtube or similar showing a guy trying that and nearly burning his house down.

jannus (original poster)

#7: Post by jannus (original poster) »

I'm aware of the acetone method, just haven't tried it yet... Maybe I'll print something small and play with the process. I know if you overdo it it loses shape as the ABS softens.

Acetone itself is flammable, which obviously can be dangerous. ABS just dissolves in acetone, I don't think the process releases any gasses or similar? I'm not an expert though, anyone who knows more please chip in!

barqy

#8: Post by barqy »

Very cool mod!

Is the material used considered food safe?

mrjag

#9: Post by mrjag »

It's probably not too healthy inhaling the dissolved plastic fumes. I would do the whole process in a well ventilated area (outdoors) to be safe.

I'm surprised about the story of setting a house on fire. Acetone is combustible but there is nothing in the process that would ignite it. Even if someone were intentionally trying to ignite the vapors, it would be difficult due to the minimal amount used.

jannus (original poster)

#10: Post by jannus (original poster) »

barqy wrote:Very cool mod!

Is the material used considered food safe?
I know there are concerns over anything from a 3D printer being food safe, from what I know mainly because the extruders/hot end/nozzle is not specifically manufactured to be food safe. A concern that I've read is that it may possibly contain lead traces. I think people (especially anyone careful from a legal perspective) rather tends to err on the side of caution hence rather label it as not food safe.