Mazzer Super Jolly: 110 or 220?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jseitz11

#1: Post by Jseitz11 »

Hello all!

Long time reader, first time poster, and I'm in need of some assistance. My Mazzer SJ, which I bought used, has always had a speed issue. It grinds rather slowly, and occasionally beans can force it to stall out and I have to remove the top burr and vaccum everything. Most of the time it's fine (I'm single dosing it so I turn the motor on before beans are in anyway) but I kind of want to figure out what's going on. I cracked the hood tonight and it appears that someone has rebuilt this grinder from the ground up. There is a ton of tape on the wires and the parts are all kind of loose in the grinder shell. The shell itself says "220v" but several parts on the grinder indicate it may be 110. With the slow speed, I'm kind of banking on 220. I tried replacing the capacitor (a suggestion found on here) and that did nothing. So, here's my thought: what if I bought a capacitor made for the 220v model (which is 10uf instead of 30 for the 110) which, in my limited knowledge of electronics, would give the motor a bit more to work with? Would this work, or do I risk blowing myself up? Any other suggestions are obviously welcome in the comments. Thanks!

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B

Yes, don't do electrical work without the prior knowledge, safety precautions, and skills.

If it came with a 120 V plug, it may have been converted, seemingly inexpertly.

Speed with many commercial grinders is locked to mains frequency. Running a 220 V motor on 120 V is not wise.

I would contact the seller for information they might have.

Given your description of the innards and your skill level, I'd either run from it or find a professional to work on it.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by buckersss »

Jseitz11 wrote:Hello all!

Long time reader, first time poster, and I'm in need of some assistance. My Mazzer SJ, which I bought used, has always had a speed issue. It grinds rather slowly, and occasionally beans can force it to stall out and I have to remove the top burr and vaccum everything. Most of the time it's fine (I'm single dosing it so I turn the motor on before beans are in anyway) but I kind of want to figure out what's going on. I cracked the hood tonight and it appears that someone has rebuilt this grinder from the ground up. There is a ton of tape on the wires and the parts are all kind of loose in the grinder shell. The shell itself says "220v" but several parts on the grinder indicate it may be 110. With the slow speed, I'm kind of banking on 220. I tried replacing the capacitor (a suggestion found on here) and that did nothing. So, here's my thought: what if I bought a capacitor made for the 220v model (which is 10uf instead of 30 for the 110) which, in my limited knowledge of electronics, would give the motor a bit more to work with? Would this work, or do I risk blowing myself up? Any other suggestions are obviously welcome in the comments. Thanks!
agree with jeff. sounds like someone modded a 220v for 110v use in na.
id get it evaluated by an electrician - but even that may not be enough. maybe just cut your loses and part with it.