Mazzer Omega hand grinder - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jaroslav

#61: Post by Jaroslav »

StoicDude wrote:Pulled a bunch of shots today for comparison.
That's a lot of grinding! Have you pulled a few shots on the same grind setting with the same dose as well?

What we can observe is that your shots with 20g dose produced yields with 10.9g and 4.2g difference between 5, 5.1 and 5.1, 5.2, but then 26g jump in yield with 19g dose between 5 and 5.1? That's very strange, I generally don't experience such large jumps in yields between steps and I'd assume something happened with that shot. The change from 5 to 5.1 does not reflect in 65% more yield at least from my experience with the Omega.
Jaroslav

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#62: Post by StoicDude replying to Jaroslav »

I will pull 3 shots on the same setting with the same dose tonight. Might be a different coffee than the LA Hara, but I'll do 3.

I am not sure why such jumps all over the place.
I m hoping I get consistent numbers, or within reason, tonight.

Jaroslav

#63: Post by Jaroslav replying to StoicDude »

Great idea! I thought I'd help, so I went ahead and I've pulled six shots, two on each setting, 25s long on three different settings: 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5. No fancy puck prep, tap-tap-tap and tamp.

4.3:
18g in, 43.4 out
18g in 41.7 out

4.4:
18g in 54.1g out
18g in 57.3g out

18g in 70.2g out
18g in 71.7g out

The pairs are pretty close to each other, so let's average them to: ~42g, ~55.7 and ~71g.

The average difference between 4.3 and 4.4 was ~30.8%, and between 4.4 and 4.5 it was ~27.5%.

This was fun! :)
Jaroslav

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#64: Post by Pressino »

To StoicDude:

That's quite a lot of crema. In my experience that amount of crema is associated with very fresh roasts...which may taste good, but which can taste even better after the beans have "rested" for a few days longer. I'm just curious and wonder if you can say how long after it was roasted you extracted the shot?

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#65: Post by StoicDude replying to Pressino »

Strangely this coffee is probably over 6 months old. I bought it back in October, used about half the bag October through December and let it sit around because I wasn't too crazy about the taste.

It is a 70/30 arabica/robusta blend if that means anything. I was super shocked that it was pulling like it did with pretty much that much crema after 6 months.
And the bag has been open and just rolled and secured with a clip.

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#66: Post by StoicDude »

Just pulled 3 shots at setting 5 with the same coffee from the last post. I would say that I'm pretty good at puck prep so that should eliminate the variable.
Wdt, distributor and aligned tamper (saint anthony industries new levy tamper)

All 3 shots were at 19 grams in and 26 seconds timing

1st: 39.1 out (70 revolutions)
2nd: 52.9 out (69 revolutions)
3rd: 47.1 out (69 revolutions)

I might actually send an e-mail to Mazzer and see what they say.

BodieZoffa

#67: Post by BodieZoffa »

After doing all sorts of experimenting with several quality hand grinders I'll say pay close attention to the angle you hold it as well as the speed of rotation. With my Helor 106 going from say a 30-40 degree position to straight up vertical makes a HUGE difference in the output as it changes the feed rate considerably. I've found many times over that slowing down the rotation gives a slightly finer grind as well.

Jaroslav

#68: Post by Jaroslav replying to BodieZoffa »

I was thinking about the speed I'm grinding with on my third shot yesterday. I was even thinking of asking someone with a drill to try and grind a few shots at the same speed. Any volunteers? :)
Jaroslav

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#69: Post by StoicDude »

I ll do the drill exercise. What are we looking for foe comparison?
Grind by hand and then Grind by drill and compare numbers?

Jaroslav

#70: Post by Jaroslav replying to StoicDude »

Try grinding two/three shots with the same recipe by hand and another two three with a drill, just to see if the consistency improves.
Jaroslav